I'm sure many of these places will have been demolished or renamed but it would be great to hear from anyone who knows of the family or can provide any more details. Many of the men worked at the shipyards or the preserves factory. Only a few years into it, faults like dampness had begun to appear in the tower blocks of the Laurieston/ Gorbals project, which rapidly turned into a disaster area. I can see from the various pieces of information I have obtained that the Leddy's lived in various places in Govan including 61 Victoria Street, 10 John Street, 76 White Street and 11 Logie Street. Men and Boys by Hugh Cavanagh. My sister and I were born the year before the second world war at Montrose nursing home in Govan. They suggested that the hill may have been a 12th-century Norman motte. Wineally for Wine Producers We make your wines shine by having them served with matching dishes in restaurants or at home. It was absolutely awesome growing up in Govan, lots of shops, such as; Galbraiths, Dands Bobby's, David's butchers, BrotherSoft paper shop, modern book shop, and Woolworths, we had a great wee doctors surgery on Langlands Road, Peacocks bakery, Nicholls store and Amey's cafe. Doublers; Rounders; Kick the Can; Ropes I could go on and on particularly with the little verses we once recited lodged in my brain still! Marconi Electronic Systems and its Marconi Marine unit were sold to British Aerospace in 1999 to form BAE Systems. It would also mean long hours of up to 18 hours day in unpleasant conditions. This was the catalyst that led local Govanites into despising the peoph of Moorepark, and considering them as different and alien. Lifts were often out of order; maintenance of the blocks was negligible while the area surrounding the tower blocks was allowed to turn into a muddy, rubbish-strewn wasteland. When in trouble the Govanites all come together. The Govan of my parents had gone, the works and the jobs and the people they spoke about had all gone. Hi Catherine, I also lived at 100 Harmony Row and also live in Canada. What a memory. or. My cousins and I thought we should try this. We all loved living there as Govan was such a great place and had everything you needed, especially four cinemas. Reply. I remember the Neptune Street bakery was always flooded and full of cats but people would still queue up outside it. Alley & Vine. Local people were also too scared to speak out for fear of reprisals. Pagini similare. Sources In early 1989 police discovered a team of young drug dealers were operating in Wine Alley, led by older man Eddie Burnside. Community Centre & Play-Park in the Wine Alley, Govan. I also remember the candy apple man and rag man, I also remember at the top of Greenfield Street as a wee boy of 8 watching a horse drawn Beatties bread wagon relieving itself, what a flood lots of great memories. Around 1963 we moved to Arden where I went St Louise Primary School. My grandparents lived opposite and I remember being sent down to McGunness for an ounce of tobacco for my grand dads pipe. You Wine Alley Govan Team were shite begs. He wanted to discover how and why such places came into being and to see if remedies could be found. who traditionally incorporate the red and black civic colours in the socks of their kit;[43] their Ibrox Stadium has a stand named for Govan (the closest to the heart of the burgh), although officially this was re-named after their former player Sandy Jardine in 2014.[44]. At the end of his stay in the housing scheme Damer wrote a report on the area entitled From Moorepark to Wine Alley in what was a damning indictment of officialdom for its arrogant neglect of Moorepark and the people who lived there. Skater Girl. The above digital stories were made by members of Govan Reminiscence Group for the Heritage Lottery funded Britain From Above Community Project in Govan, Glasgow, during Spring 2014. I was born in 23 McGregor Street Teucharhill in 1962 and remember my mum waiting until the last minute and getting a lift to the polling station, promising to vote for whichever party candidate provided the transport (aye right) still though when the 70s arrived I would have voted for the blonde wummin shouting through a megaphone at the end of the street even though I'd no idea what she was on about or what party she represented, she was a bit of a belter called Margo MacDonald. Listing details information provided by Stephen Redding. He had a broken leg, but we cuddled and comforted him until someone with a car was found, hours later, to get him to the vets. He and his pals jumped out and I ran back up three stories screaming. Govan Old Parish Church was rebuilt in 1762, 1826, and again 1884-1888. Somehow the government cannot understand that external improvements can only benefit any dilapidated area by not only improving its external image but also by giving the local residents a sense of Well-Being. The man caught in the earlier operation with 50,000 of drugs in Helen Street was given six years. Community organisation. I attended Notre Dame School and Jackie told customers this to reassure them of the standard of my handwriting! When the sirens went for everyone to go to their shelters, our grandfather had to come and help her take us to St. Anthony's school (our shelter). Does anyone remember Reid the baker who was in Neptune Street around about the 1950s? Second, two documents from the Social Exclusion Unit (SEU), which focus on the decline of the urban neighbourhood, argue that the decline almost always starts with a lack of work. We used to listen to all the records being played from Munleys on a Saturday morning. Moorepark is a small area in the Scottish city of Glasgow. Glasgow Braendam Link is a Company Limited by Guarantee, Registered in Scotland, No. If either cop was caught then they were on a hiding to nothing. Good times we had, wonder where they all are now and if they remember me. Thus, the major failing of any community planning is its inability to understand this relationship between the community and authority in detail and in an objective manner. There is absolutely no hiding from the fact that no Section 30 is the bullying action of a . Tel: 0141 440 1999, Fax: 0141 440 1367 , Yup I'll always be from Govan even though we lived a bus ride with the messages away from it in Shieldhall, that was situated near to the 50 pitches, I remember well my Dad and me watching the shipyards football competitions. We lived directly opposite the Steamie and I vividly recall playing ball against the red brick wall for hours. Anyone know the Maguire family from Logie Street and 147 Langlands Road? Registered in England & Wales | 01676637 |. I was born Jan 6th 1951 and brought up in flat above Co-op in Helen Street at Govan Cross, I Went to Harmony Row and Hills Trust Primary schools before moving to Pollok when I was 10 .I have 4 brothers Dave, Bobby, Shuggie, all born in Govan ..and Alastair born in Pollok. In this way they dispelled the idea of the workers being "work-shy" and also wanted to illustrate the long-term viability of the yards. Such developments benefit the aesthetic and connective appeal of the Govan area for future visitors. The Old Govan Fair. Media/news company. I remember two days before we left in 1963, I took her to the Govan Fair, and that was the last one I ever saw. In 1996, a team from Channel 4's Time Team programme carried out an archeological excavation at the site. I attended Harmony Row School and Hills Trust Primary. Went back recently, but things are not the same. [10], Not much is known about any medieval village that may have surrounded the church until 1454 when it is recorded that whole houses, barns and mills in the village were brought down by a great flood. My husband also comes from Govan. 124m Freshair Salon . Long range video and still cameras were set up at both locations so that the daily activities of the dealers could be filmed and monitored. They also told police that the same man would rent out a larger car about once a month. The layout suited their operations as there were only two ways in and out - making it easy to spot the police. When I was a wee lassie of four living on Neptune Street in the early 50's I walked away down the street from our close and got lost. Zabudli ste daje na prstup k tu? Although Govan was the stated setting for the show, episodes were seldom filmed there. My name is James Murray, my dad Edward Murray grew up in Govan. Little did we no that years later I would be living above that very shop. JEFF TORRINGTON Singing: No, No, Yuppie, Yuppie NO! My father, Alex Grant and brother Davie lived one up at 129 Elderpark Street. One hypothesis is that it was a prehistoric burial mound. Sometimes it was hillarious, waiting in the queue to get onto that seat, and having to use The News of The World as toilet paper.wow! Related Pages. Will they be full participants at setting the agenda for their locals or are these just pie crust promises?11 Will the same old story of the past three decades resurface where members of local communities are merely informed or consulted about changes in which they have no say?12 Perhaps one of the worst errors that the new regeneration policy is now making is that of ignoring the potential of local housing organisations as important instruments for inclusion and social capital, and their spill over effects of wider social and economic developments and issues. The Moorepark area is served by Ibrox subway station on the Glasgow Subway system,[15] which is located on the corner of Copland Road and Woodville Street. On 13 July 1577, the teinds of Govan were granted to the University of Glasgow, and the Principal of the University ex officio was appointed minister of the parish. Best people you could meet. Wine Alley Govan Kids Southern General Hospital On the Clyde Govan Kvaerner/Fairfield Shipyards Govan Shipyards ( Front gate pics ) The Plaza/Vogue Govan Dry Docks Trams in Govan/ Goods Carriers Inside the Lyceum Bingo/Picture Hall Lyceum Projection Room Lyceum Foyer & Balcony Foyer Lyceum Cinema Balcony Inside The Lyceum Govan Baths Harhill [21], The area has had a reputation for deprivation and poverty, partly due to the construction of housing estates in the 1930s to relieve the overcrowded slum district of The Gorbals, Glasgow. It was a beautiful building and I would have thought that the powers that be could have used it for something. I didn't open my mouth, I was sure I was going to jail. Ther were many menswear shops such as Jackson the Tailor and John Collier. I would so love to hear from you if you do. Non-governmental organisations working in the field such as the Church, charitable organisations, etc., have for a long time advocated Community Planning or management of the urban environment as the best solution to this problem of how to give a better quality of life to many of the citizens of our country. People lived with the inconsistency in the records. Wine Alley was in a part of Govan which is "pretty much gone now but it was notorious," he described. Providing a family base with a family room in Govan, with weekly meetings in Govan and Easterhouse Providing consistent, non-judgmental support to families and individuals, and home visits to families in crisis I was wondering if anyone had any information on the McSherry family? Instead, it referred to the popularity of cheap and powerful tonic wines particularly with young people - the vast consumption of which would often lead to violence and disorder. I was born in 1946 at 16 Elderpark Street, I had 3 brothers; Harry, Robert and Ronnie, we all went to Greenfield Primary school, Harry and Robert also went to Govan High School and we also went to 168th Boys Brigade and lifeboys. When we moved to Nitshill in 1060, I realised how much I had loved Govan. My granny Flora McFadyen was one of the oldest and longest residents in the Wine Alley. It was dedicated to St Constantine, who had been buried at Govan. I too, have fond memories of playing and performing small shows, and we all thought we could act. Nothing but grateful for my early Govan years. My family lived at 100 Harmony Row, Govan until I was 10 (born 1953), I lived there with my father Guido Gonnella, my mom Susan, brother William and sisters Helen Marie and Susan also lived with us. I lived at 2 Robert street, Govan, we moved there from Tower Street, Kinning Park, I went to Harmony Row school (1959/60) then moved up to Hills Trust primary and after that went to Broomloan Road secondary school, that was shut down and we were moved to Govan High comprehensive around 1967/1968. Poor health and low-levels of educational qualifications are offered as secondary parts of the equation. In Canada, I joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, and served 37 years before retiring. She had 3 boys Alex, Willie and Robert. He liked nothing better than tothrow empty drugs packets out of his window and watch a crowd of desperateaddicts scrambling for them. With its bad name, many people from Moorepark could not get jobs while those that could often disguised their addresses and, if they a they moved away because of its bad reputation Gradually, the decrease in services, coupled with, a by now high turnover of tenancie let house, led to the accretion of demoralised families coming into the scheme and all the stories about Moorparks good-for-nothing population seemed to be justified.

Live Music In Abilene, Tx Tonight, Best Quiet Beach Resorts In Crete, Appropriate Days To Visit Bereaved Family Hindu, Articles W