I don't talk much about the taunts and racial slurs I faced in youth and minor hockey. I pride myself in being maybe the first black player to play consistently in the league, McKegney said. McKegney scored 31 goals in 1986-87, 29 of them after being traded to the New York Rangers. Draft: Buffalo, 2nd round (32nd overall), 1978 NHL Amateur. Judge to former NHLer Tony McKegney: 'You were a danger to yourself' I'd been chasing that red light since I started playing hockey at 3 years old. And if those people were wrong about his future in hockey, what else might they be wrong about? We reserve the right to close comments at any time. Coming into the next season, he thought he was a shoo-in to make the team. the official stats partner of the NBA, NHL and MLB. {* traditionalSignIn_signInButton *}, Comment and participate in our online community. I probably should have, and I never did that. Today, Tony McKegney, the first Black player to score 40 goals in an NHL season, tells his story of overcoming racial bias and serving as inspiration for Jarome Iginla, the only other Black. Sherry Bassin, 80, is a former junior hockey executive and another person who helped shape Saunders as a hockey player and a person. All NHL team jerseys customized with NHL players' names and numbers are officially licensed by the NHL and the NHLPA. While in Fredericton, he says the coach told him he may play a couple dozen games at the NHL level, but his main role would be to tutor the other players. There isnt enough recent news in your lineup. If no results appear, use Enter to do a full site search. Mike Harrington: His team looks good, even without Alex Tuch. Tony McKegney Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight, Wife, Wiki-Bio, Family of 1 Hockey was like that for me -- I was constantly focused on numbers. If my career took some pressure off of him, or anyone who looks like us, I'm very proud of that. As of this date, Sue is single. When I started in the league, I never would have guessed. And my teammates treated me like I was not any different than anybody. So, for me, there were just so many good influences. But while Saunders was playing the role of helping others, he believes the Habs didn't really have any incentive to help him, since the team had its own players to develop. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. TM: I remember mentioning to Grant Fuhr, it mightve been an All-Star Game or something, I said, Youre lucky. . SN: What were the conversations like between you and your brother about the abuse he faced? But Jarrett believes Saunders deserved to be there. There is one number, though, that says a lot about the season I had in 1987-88. Of his 13 years in the NHL, he spent the most time with the Sabres. He would play 23 games with the San Diego Gulls in 1992-93 before retiring. Previously, in the early '80s, one of my team's assistant coaches advised me to start dating a Black woman instead of Sue for similarly ignorant and bigoted reasons. And I just thought to myself, What are they doing out there? And I couldnt wait to go out there and join them at a year-and-a-half. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 . He scored a goal in that game and got a standing ovation from the crowd. Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. He was following in the footsteps of his older brother Ian, who had been a star with the Sarnia Legionnaires before moving on to the pros. Sign up for Stathead Hockey - first month free. There have been 93 black players in the NHL. by He is not dating anyone. The sport that Saunders loved so much, the sport he says shaped him into the person he has become, has also broken his heart many times. Data Provided By After playing for Pickering, Saunders got a full scholarship to Western Michigan University and played there for four years. I just pushed the stereotypes to the background and kept hockey in the forefront. He went to New Brunswick, feeling discouraged but not ready to give up. They were around five and six years old. They were there for me for the most part. Its just something I never envisioned when I was growing up seeing five black hockey players playing in the same game. Fast forward to 1987-88, and my performance in the NHL was helping to prove the stereotypes wrong. Showing Editorial results for sabres tony mckegney. TM: Its wonderful. McKegney spent less than two years with the Nordiques, and had several more stops around the NHL during the next several seasons. After scoring eight goals in 52 games as a rookie in 1978-79, he scored 23 in his second NHL season 37 in 1980-81. Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Saturday, March 4, 4:33AM. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. But I cherish everything about that goal that found my stick in the last minute of the last game of my 1987-88 season with the St. Louis Blues. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. The Nordiques didn't have a farm team that year, so he was sent to play for the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, one of the Montreal Canadiens' farm teams. (approx 1 - 2 per week). "It was just time. When search suggestions are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. He says he doesn't watch much anymore. Tony McKegney Goal vs. Toronto 12/13/80 - YouTube He was a role model." Embed from Getty Images Getty Images Sport Graig Abel Bernie Saunders played 10 games for the Quebec Nordiques, but he and others say his career would have been longer if he wasnt black. That is a great start and I am looking forward to rooting for the Black players drafted in the past few years who are going to carry on this legacy. Find out more. Today we look at former NHL forward Tony McKegney. Buffalo looks to bounce back with a clean slate against another tough team. In fact, I didn't play against another Black hockey player for nearly 18 years -- when Ray Neufeld, Grant Fuhr, and I were all active in the League. Saunders was part of a wave of black players who debuted after Willie O'Ree became the first black player in the National Hockey League in 1958. So Bassin gave him that chance. It's a big deal that Grant, Willie, and now Jarome have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Sue maintains relationships with many people -- family, friends, associates, & neighbors -- including Daniel Mckegney, Daniel Mckegney, Marilynn Habberfie, Roger Habberfield and Tony Mckegney. NHL.com is the official web site of the National Hockey League. Tony McKegney had 320 goals over his career. Important: An official team/league url or a team document must be provided for us to update player stats. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. 1989-1990 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1987-1988 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (4) 1986-1987 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1985-1986 Postseason Fight Card NHL (2) 1983-1984 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Other than that, I hadnt played against another black hockey player my whole life. An error has occurred while trying to update your details. 32) of the 1978 NHL Draft. Today, were giving a quick shoutout to former Buffalo Sabres forward Justin Bailey. Unlimited access for the whole family until Feb 21. . Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. tony mckegney family Only once has he played in fewer than 60 of the regular season's 80 games. McKegney had been expected to sign with Birmingham of the World Hockey Association, but the deal fell through and he was taken by the Buffalo Sabres in the second round (No. Youre going to do well in the NHL. I just praised him, knowing that he was a great player and he was going to play in the NHL for a long time. Boards and the whole thing. Years later, I found out I was one of the reasons why. Highlighting Black players throughout Buffalo Sabres history. "I believe if he wasn't a black individual he would have played [more] in the NHL. But the homeowner's and the coach's comments were unwelcomed reminders that people were constantly viewing me through the lens of my race -- even when I just wanted to be a home renter, or a hockey player. Would you like to create an account so you can see these Favourites on your other devices too? Comments are welcome while open. All Rights Reserved. People had a certain amount of respect for us athletically.". Wikifamouspeople has ranked Tony McKegney as of the . He got out of his contract, went back to Michigan and started playing for the Kalamazoo Wings, an International Hockey League team, while establishing himself at Upjohn, a pharmaceutical company. Jarome Iginla. Two years ago, when he scored 15 times and had 25 assists, was the only season he scored fewer than 23 goals or compiled fewer than 45 points. After leaving the NHL, he had a long, successful career in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. (Tony) McKegney will need to be working on his paddle stroke or riding as a passenger. McKegney has remained in the NHL largely because of his skating skills, his durability and the steadiness he mentioned. Welcome to NHL.com, the official site of the National Hockey League, Bienvenue LNH.com , le site officiel de la Ligue nationale de hockey, Tervetuloa NHL:n viralliselle nettisivustolle NHL.comiin, Vlkommen till NHL.com, NHL:s officiella web-sida, Vtejte na NHL.com, oficilnch strnkch National Hockey League, Vitajte na NHL.com, oficilnych strnkach National Hockey League, Willkommen auf NHL.com, der offiziellen Seite der National Hockey League, Bienvenido a NHL.com, el sitio oficial de la National Hockey League. Before Jarome was an NHL superstar and represented Canada in three Olympics, he was just like every other Canadian kid playing ball hockey in the school yard -- except he stood out for looking different than the 'typical' hockey player. Tony McKegney Wiki, Biography, Net Worth, Age, Family, Facts and More I was at a Queens University hockey game. TM: I heard some stories about the tough guys like George Laraque, Peter Worrell and Donald Brashear, and apparently it was absolutely brutal for those guys in Quebec. The judge ordered McKegney, while on probation, to complete all assessments, counselling and treatments directed by his probation supervisor to deal with issues arising from domestic. My dad felt he could do something for the amount of kids that were homeless or without parents per se.. Jarrett won the scoring title and says he couldn't have done it without Saunders at his side. tony mckegney family https://iccleveland.org/wp-content/themes/icc/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 ICC ICC https://iccleveland.org/wp-content/themes/icc/images . He decided to sign as a free agent with the Nordiques because he felt they would give him the best opportunity to play right away plus, he would be reunited with Demers. TONY MCKEGNEY: I was adopted when I was 18 months old and I moved [in with my adoptive family]. Get access to our unique free agency lists and many more premium features. Tony McKegney Net Worth, Age, Bio, Birthday, Height, Facts With a Premium subscription, you'll get access to over 30 tools, features and benefits. Born: February 15,1958 inMontreal,Quebec ca, Draft: Buffalo, 2nd round (32ndoverall), 1978NHLAmateur. I was the second to be adopted, McKegney, a St. Louis Blues forward, said of the white family in Sarnia, Ontario, he became part of before he was 1 year old. He learned to fight, to defend himself, but mainly he tried to keep scoring. Of course, sports will never make us color blind, and colorblindness is not the goal. Clearly, Jarome recognized that the 'typical' hockey player could be anyone who loves the game and plays it well. (Tony McKegney, the fourth black player, debuted in 1978). Tony McKegney was bom in Montreal, Quebec, in February of 1958 to a Nigerian father and Canadian mother. Back in 1988, I'm not sure if I realized what it really meant. More Tony McKegney videos. Keep reading with unlimited digital access. If you are experiencing difficulties logging in or are a subscriber getting a paywall, please try one or more of the following steps. "I was just this shy, quiet kid in Chteauguay. One house seemed perfect for me and my wife, Sue. And obviously we watched the games, the Leafs and the Red Wings on TV back in the six-team league. My mother and father -- who adopted me from an orphanage in Montreal, and who happen to be white -- built a hockey rink in our backyard every winter, where I'd skate with my siblings. Former NHL star sent to jail | The Kingston Whig Standard As a teenager he played Jr. 'B' hockey in Sarnia. SN: If you had a chance to talk to the young African-Canadian and African-American kids coming into the game, what would you tell them that you wish youd known? Things just felt right that year. Former NHL star McKegney conflicted by USA Hockey hiring of Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. Grow your brand authentically by sharing brand content with the internets creators. It was a simple chip-in that just dribbled through the goalie's pads. By checking this box, I agree to the terms of service and privacy policy of Rogers Media. Jets on Sportsnet, Marchment, Pavelski end droughts as Stars dominate Avalanche, Cooper on benching Stamkos, Kucherov, Point: 'Weren't giving us the best chance to win', Bertuzzi sets up goal, Bruins stretch winning-streak in win over Rangers, Lightning fall to Sabres, bench Kucherov, Stamkos, Point for third period, {* backButton *} The Zamboni word mark and configuration of the Zamboni ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. 2023. Bernie Saunders, one of the NHL's first black players, never thought he would find himself coaching youth hockey. In retrospect, I can now see how it was an important milestone for people who look like me: No Black player had ever scored 40 goals in a season not until that game against Winnipeg, where a little chip-in ended up making history. And I followed the advice that the great Willie O'Ree has given so many times: channel your energy into lighting the red light. Halls contract with the Bills had expired, although left unanswered is whether the team made an effort to retain him or Hall simply was rea. Former Buffalo Sabre Tony McKegney charged with violating order of Dating & Relationship status He is currently single. Tony McKegney spoke about his experience being one of the few black players in the NHL and how the league has progressed since his playing days. Tony McKegney Goal vs. Toronto 12/13/80 - YouTube 0:00 / 0:44 Tony McKegney Goal vs. Toronto 12/13/80 Disengage 1.53K subscribers Subscribe 947 views 8 years ago Tony McKegney ties the game. Amateur Teams: Kingston Canadians. Saunders was the third highest-scorer at training camp. Tony McKegney (born Anthony Syiid McKegney on February 15, 1958) is a retired Canadian professional ice hockey player, who played in the NHL for 13 seasons from 1978-79 until 1990-91. To see your localized preferences, please enable geolocation services in your browser settings. Tony played for the Buffalo Sabres for 5 years until June 8, 1983 when he was traded to the Quebec Nordiques along with Andre Savard, Jean-Francois Sauve and Buffalo's third-round choice in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Real Cloutier and Quebec's first-round pick in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft. But on the. Customize your lineup with your favourite leagues and teams. They're too neat; too objective. Never fully comfortable: Maple Leafs Kerfoot and the trade he dodged, Canucks commit to re-tooling over re-building with Hronek addition, On a career heater, Nugent-Hopkins four-point night helps Oilers ground Jets. Another referee determined he made a kicking motion and gave him a match penalty. McKegney was the first Black Canadian hockey player to make an impact in the NHL. Black History Month spotlight: McKegney opens doors, fills nets As part of the NHL's celebration of Black History Month, NHL.com will highlight great moments and important figures in black hockey history each day throughout February. It takes time to grow a sport, he says, and now young black kids have something he didn't: the opportunity to play the game they love with people who look like them, and to see more than one black person playing it at the highest level. Thats basically what got me where I am today., Connect with the definitive source for global and local news. In fact, I think their parents were thinking about saying, Look, why dont you just go play soccer, because it was so bad as far as the remarks. McKegney, a Montreal native who was raised in Sarnia by his adoptive family, was drafted by the Sabres with the 32nd overall pick in the 1978 NHL Amateur Draft. Brent Jarrett played with him in Kalamazoo, Mich.,that season. Oilers' Mike Green out three to four weeks with knee injury, Islanders re-assign Josh Ho-Sang to Blues' AHL affiliate. He was told teams were interested in trading for him, but the Nordiques didn't let him go. I wanted to be the best hockey player from my hometown. Bailey, who is biracial, currently plays for the Vancouver Canucks and is in his second season with the organization. Position: LW Shoots: Left. Saunders, a right-winger, played 10 games for the Quebec Nordiques in 1979-80 and 1980-81. McKegney was arrested June 23 and pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree criminal contempt on July 8, according to court records. Hes been an All-Star. He says he has moved on. We've sent an email with instructions to create a new password. Taking into account various assets, Sue's net worth is greater than $50,000 - $99,999; and makes between $20 - 29,999 a year. His point production dropped off, but he was still eventually called up to the big club. All rights reserved. At age 5, I started playing organized hockey. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. When I came along, obviously there were comments made, but I was so focused on what was happening on the ice. You reached out to him afterwards. And I know they weren't alone in their thoughts. Even now, when I tell the story of the 1987-1988 season, I use a lot of numbers to explain why the season turned out so special. Please contact us. After playing for 15 years professionally, it was a hard transition and Im sure Ive made some mistakes and would do some things differently. SN: When you got to the league was it a lonely existence for you? Obviously, I know Im on the back 9 - if you want to compare it to golf. So, there was a lot of black athletes in town in Buffalo. Two years ago, when he scored 15 times and had 25 assists, was the only season he scored fewer than 23 goals or compiled fewer than 45 points. One of his teammates even offered to rent his apartment to Saunders, thinking he would need one since he'd be there long term. But hockey was a window of opportunity because we saw people from our area making it. While in Chteauguay, he played for Jacques Demers, who went on to coach the Nordiques and Montreal Canadiens. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). Tony McKegney Stats and News | NHL.com McKegney would remain with the Sabres through the 1982-83 season before enjoying a lengthy NHL career that took him across the United States and into Canada. It's not the 40 goals I scored. Take control of your EliteProspects profile! I showed up there and I remember sitting on my adoptive mothers knee and looking out the dining room window at this ice rink. Tony McKegney player profile, stats and championships. He is 64 years old. He jumped to the AHL's Hershey. That year, he also played against a team from Birmingham, Ala. His first game there, team executives told him he might be shot, so he went into the arena with extra protection. And there was a ton of it, ugly stuff. Jonathan freaked out. I remember the reporter asking me about growing up in a town where there were only two Black families among 50,000 people. Early Life and Family: Education: Tony McKegney Net Worth: "It felt like they were ripping out my heart. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted by a white family in Sarnia, Ont. I loved basketball, football, baseball, golf. After scoring 36 goals for the Sabres in 1982-83, McKegney was traded to the Quebec Nordiques. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. Tony McKegney - Net Worth February 2023, Salary, Age, Siblings, Bio I showed up there and I remember sitting on my adoptive mother's knee and looking out the dining . Bassin knew Saunders was getting racist taunts, but said Saunders always handled it in stride and never let it get to him. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted soon thereafter, and raised by a white family in Sarnia, Ontario. Jarome Iginla gave me a very nice compliment when he said he felt he was at home on the ice and in the school yard, because he could say, Hey, Tony McKegney, hes playing in the NHL. He felt like he belonged on a hockey rink because I was out there. He believes he could have had a 10-year career in the NHL if he had been given a proper shot. Sabres Memories is presented by BCBSWNY. So I found myself focused on a number, 40, throughout the last stretch of games. Sometimes what has been said in the past is that once hes established he doesnt produce as much. I dont have any theory why Tony has played with so many teams. Economics and demographics - there are far fewer blacks in his native Canada than in the United States - still keep blacks from following him to the pro ranks. You learn that what matters most is their work ethic, their commitment, their passion, their personality, maybe their sense of humor -- certainly not the way they look. McKegney still does alumni work for the Sabres and Red Wings. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free.

Virginia Home Health Care Regulations, Cactus Mccoy 2 Without Flash, Articles T