22.5K followers. Often, her feelings lay bare in front of fans, friends, and player. And so I said, you know what, Im gonna go for it.. And she wasnt wrong. Yes, there are schools out there with the ability to pay Reed more who might be interested in hiring her away from JSU. Mulkey will make north of $2.5 million this season. TR: The disrespect runs deep. I am extremely thankful and honored that President Thomas Hudson and Vice President and Director of Athletics Ashley Robinson saw fit for me to remain at the helm of the JSU womens basketball program, Reed said. And when the change starts, it's going to go across the board. Months later, Reed got the Jackson State job. Him and I talk all the time, we meet all the time. I just know talent and I respect people from afar on a job well done.Mulkey is known for being a humorous, tell-it-like-it-is coach with the media. TOMEKIA REED SCOWL DRAWS TECHNICAL FOULSTomekia Reed's scowls draw technical fouls and often help Jackson State women's basketball The season changed in a 75-58 loss to Texas on Dec. 14, a rare . But the message she gave to her team after they came closer than any other JSU team to advancing in the NCAA Tournament was to fight for HBCU culture, not run away from it. Amidst all the shade, the Tigers finished their season with a 18-6 record and a trip to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008, where they faced Baylor in the first round. I want him to be cognizant of the way he uses his voice and the words he uses to express his thoughts and opinions., MO WILLIAMS TALKS ABOUT M.L. They began corresponding regularly. Mississippi Department of Public Safety, Forensics Laboratory. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. #RiseTheUnderdog, You know, that was something Ive been feeling for a very long time, Reed says over a Zoom call in August. The youngest and only girl in a family of three brothers, Reed grew up as just one of the boys. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a celebration of the civil-rights icon's life, but it's also one of remembering her late mother, Edith Mae Reed, whose birthday is was on that day. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I took jobs all over the place at predominately white institutions, and the Lord afforded me an opportunity to come back. Reed began her coaching career at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as assistant womens basketball coach for three seasons. Williams responded that day. They dont have the resources over there. While there, she served as the top assistant also worked with post players at JSU and served as the teams academic liaison. Tomekia Reed always knew coaching at Jackson State was a goal she wanted to achieve. When Jordan was hired by Tucker, he signed a two-year contract with an annual salary of $225,000. Saturdays 83-77 win over the SWAC champions marked the second time in as many seasons as shes had to go through JSU to get to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. "She led the program to its first SWAC regular-season championship in over 10 years and has set the foundation for continued success. He does a lot of social media marketing for myself and our program and for other sports as well. We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. https://gojsutigers.com/news/2020/7/17/womens-basketball-reed-signs-four-year-contract-extension.aspx. She earned an associates degree in sports medicine from Hinds in 2001 and a bachelors in exercise science from Georgia Southwestern in 2003. 22.5k Followers, 2,973 Following, 848 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Tomekia Reed (@coachtomekiareed) coachtomekiareed. The late Pat Summitt had the stare arms crossed as she would glare at a referee. If you can reach 100,000 people with a tweet or with a post, thats phenomenal, and it helps us in so many ways. Kim Mulkey and Tomekia Reed embrace. But they also have to provide a competitive salary as their rising stars continue to shine more brightly with each passing year. A raucous crowd at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center fell silent. Jackson State extended Reed back in 2020 as she quickly put the program from the SWAC cellar to among its elite. In JSU's game against Texas, Longhorns coach Vic Schaefer chewed on areferee until he received a technical. Jayvous McKinnis also won SWAC Defensive Player of the Year and Roland Griffin was thethe 2019-20 SWAC Newcomer of the Year this past season for the Tigers. Feb 4, 2023 8:45 AM EST. In four seasons as JSUs head coach, Tomekia Reed has led JSU women's basketball to the top of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Jackson State University Apply Now! The words of the LSU coach may sting to some JSU and HBCU supporters, but they are valid in the capitalistic society we live in. "Oh my God," Pointer said, to herself and others, repeatedly. Tomekia Reed's scowls draw technical fouls and often help Jackson State women's basketball, Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed meets Pro Football Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Choose a Staff Member: Tomekia Reed Title Head Coach Phone 601-979-2818 In four seasons as head coach, Tomekia Reed has led Jackson State University women's basketball to the top of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. We're going to keep knocking until we get the same as other institutions," Reed said. Reed, who is in her fifth season at JSU, has posted an 85-45 mark and 64-10 record in SWAC action, which includes tying the single-season wins record (23) last season, three consecutive. So to be able to do this in my community, it means a lot to me. Mulkey bowed her head, then shook it, oozing relief. And we're gonna keep knocking until the respect is there., 662 S. President Street, Jackson, MS 39201662 S. President Street, Jackson, MS 39201. Mulkeys comments rubbed some people the wrong way as she knew they would if she said them. The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. The 2007-08 JSU squad captured the SWAC Tournament championship and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. All great coaches have their signature way to work officials during a basketball game. After the final buzzer sounded Saturday, and LSU narrowly staved off what would have been one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournamentwomen's basketball history,coachKim Mulkeyhad a message for Jackson State coach Tomekia Reed. Off the court, she is classy and elegant. Current Role & Salary Review. But it is obvious that Reeds star is on the rise, and true to Mulkeys words, her pay will have to rise as well. Amid conversations about the challenges coaches at HBCUs face, a successful and veteran one chimed in. Tomekia Reed. Mackenzie talks with junior Lady Tigers guard Dayzsha Rogan to get to know what her pregame rituals are, her favorite music, and more. The Lady Tigers won 21 straight. And so with that being said, our focus is not just in conference, competing in conference, our focus is being dominant and having a voice and being competitive out of conference. Often, her feelings lay bare in front. But still we are walked over and thought less of. The comment was meant as a feel-good sign of respect. Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed coaches the game with passion and attitude. The Lady Tigers opened conference play with a 12-0 start, which is the program best. But it is obvious that Reed's star is on the rise, and true to Mulkey's words, her pay will have to rise as well. - Jackson State University is pleased to announce a four-year contract extension for head women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed. The Blue and White finished conference play with a 16-2 mark which tied the program record. We have to continue to fight for our culture. "We have to continue to fight for our institution, for our conference, for our culture," Reed said. That I believe in them.. And most of the end? HOUSTON - Center Daphne White recorded a double-double with 13 points, 12 rebounds, and a block as the Jackson State Lady Tigers dominated the Texas Southern Lady Tigers 87-58 as 1,284 fans . It hadn't materialized, but it's the scene Jackson State had envisioned too, the scenario that would have made them March darlings. She signed two of Georgias top athletes and one of Mississippis finest Dandy Dozen players. During its 27 NCAA Tournament appearances, LSU (26-5) has only. "We have to continue to knock on walls to get respect. "I'm glad he called it," she later said of the ref. "Honestly, my message after today's game waswe have to continue to fight for our institution, our conference, we have to continue to fight for our culture," Reed said. TR: For me, its just really important to stay classy, stay professional, be a model and just to show we can do this. Tomekia Reed. Jackson State has extended the contacts of women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed and men's basketball coachWayne Brent. Reed knows that Black people have created immense progress, as a culture, community and country, but she believes that America has a long way to go. Off the court, she is classy and elegant. When were going against Power Five institutions, or even high mid-majors or mid-majors, they always down us for what we dont have. SLAM: What are those levels youre addressing? One-hundred and . So do the financial disparities. "We're knocking on walls," Reed continued. Martin Luther King Jr., Reed said, I often think about all of the things he fought for. Tomekia Reed earns an extension after leading Jackson State to a regular season title. SLAM: What were the feelings and emotions you had that led to your tweet back in August? But we got to jump on board, we got to get in that thing with them. Im doing film, Im cleaning, Im mopping the floor, Im sweeping the floor, Im washing uniforms, I do it all, on top of game strategizing, on top of recruiting. SLAM: What are the goals you have for yourself and for the team this upcoming season? State Super Of Public Education. Follow. Copyright 2002-2023 Blackboard, Inc. All rights reserved. How they taught her the importance of being proud of being Black and dressing well, along with other life lessons. 175 s.3rd street suite 200 columbus ohio 43215 [email . Turner Staci Ann. I want my players to know I am fighting for them. As much as Jackson State University women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed knows that now, her journey to this moment has been one of twists, turns and potholes. Sanders may be more . And of course, you know, Jackson, Mississippi is my hometown. Save on iPhone 14 Pro and more Apple products. Jackson State pays its football coach Deion Sanders less than a fifth of that. Shes also coached at Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, New Orleans and Hinds CC, where she led her alma-mater to two consecutive winning seasons and the NJCAA Region 23 title game during her three-year tenure. They took a lead, then extended it and their fans who'd traveled down Interstate-55 roared. "Coach Reed has done a tremendous job and has elevated the program in her two short years on the job," Robinson said. Will she remain at Jackson State after the 2022 season or venture into a new and more challenging role elsewhere? She cited personal reasons. Reed never forgets the heroes in her house, that being her parents, including her father, John. Reed, who'd recruited her out of high school, texted her, day after day; Williams her name at the time didn't respond. All of the things that he prayed for and all of the things that he spoke for., REED SCOWL DRAWS TECHNICAL FOULSTomekia Reed's scowls draw technical fouls and often help Jackson State women's basketball. They earned plenty of it Saturday, even if they didn't quite earn history. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items. Now, she tries to pass on the teachings of her parents to her young son, Carlon. So thats why Im excited about this team. Why dont we have any worth? The upset of LSU was the storybook ending, the tale that would have overtaken the tournament. Off the court, she is classy and elegant. Reed, at the time, was the head coach at Hinds Community College, her alma mater. Dps-State Medical Examiner. You'll see a change, and we're going to keep working. We have to make a strong statement in the preseason next year. Her coaching career began in 04 at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as an assistant coach and recruiter for three seasons. Mulkey will make north of $2.5 million this season. "I am thankful for AD Robinson's commitment to our program and we will have several more outstanding seasons to come.". Re-Engaging in Education for All to Progress, 662 S. President Street, Jackson, MS 39201, Blackboard Web Community Manager Privacy Policy (Updated). There was Reed, stalking the sidelines as the architect, the personable and empathetic recruiter, who'd taken the job in 2018 with no prior Division I head-coaching experience. She'd decided she was done with hoops, with college. But that wasnt all.I dont know if you want me to tell you the second part of that because yall all Jackson State people, the LSU coach said. Its always bringing us down when were doing the exact same thing that the other schools are doing with limited resources and thats what I put in the tweet. Reed comes to Jackson State following a successful three-year stint as coach of the Hinds Community College women's basketball team. They do this as a teaching tool turning negative emotions into positive ones. A fancy building is not going to talk to you when youre sadI am and I will, and Im here for you. Nine years ago, I wrote a piece in the infancy of HBCU Gameday called A Good HBCU coach is Hard to Keep. It hasnt been as frequent as I thought it might be back then, but my money says Tomekia Reed will have plenty of options on the table. Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed after loss to LSU: 'We're gonna keep knocking', Jackson State women's basketball falls short of historic upset of LSU in NCAA Tournament, How a game of 1-on-1 basketball changed Ameshya Williams-Holliday's last name, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. She's the one who has built this program.". This season, Jackson State ranked in the top three in the Southwestern Athletic Conference in nearly every major category. Reed offers officials "The Scowl" a combination. However, during the early stages of her tenure, there were moments when the direction of the program wasn't always clear. "But now it's time to come back and knock the walls down.". Design Your Ideal Work Environment & Work Day. I have my hands in everything. The team has instituted a watch for negative displays of emotions during practice and games. Follow them on Twitter@BCAWORLDWIDE. She has guided JSU to four consecutive berths in the SWAC Tournament semifinals, three straight berths in the conference tournament finals, three straight SWAC regular-season titles, and two straight SWAC tournament titles and NCAA appearances. Copyright 2023, Jackson State University Athletics.

Jackie Tuttle Homicide Hunter, Articles T