From Control Panel, select Network. Synology is focused on cost . Log Manager And it come with a real time built-in Log Viewer of your naming conversion activity. I decided to go with an 8 bay NAS and 10TB hard drives. After that, the first time you turn the new server on, youll be prompted to upgrade the OS, like in step #4 above, to the latest version of DSM built for the model. Such glaring price gouging makes me reconsider whether I want to do business with such a company, even if my DS414+ which has been absolutely rock steady is now running into its upper storage limit and its time to get something new, and Synology Drive looks like a mighty fine experience. On general and network-attached storage (NAS). The former has a faster CPU, more RAM, and two 2.5GbE Multi-Gig ports, which help deliver significantly faster raw throughput speed than the latter. RPi is connected over Ethernet to RT-AX92U. CNAME crimson.example.com. Don't subscribeAllReplies to my comments Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Would you have a suggestion on the 1621+ vs. the 923+/1522+? If youre tech-savvy, you can figure things out quite quickly. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I that a default fault, or does the folder need to be reindexed? SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts. Learn more. With all the video and backup needs that a NAS will handle, having 10Gbit is fantastic so multiple users can use full 1Gbit connections. If you dont want an account with Synology, you can skip QuickConnect and use Dynamic DNS. Hi Dong: This file name convention is. There are three volume size limits, 16TB, 108TB, and 200TB. But the two brands are similar and vary from one model to another. But yes, Synology has slowly going the Apple route in hardware control. Once integrated, you can manage NASs resources based on the settings of the domain server. SA: This series is for scalable enterprise storage solutions and is generally not applicable to home and SMB users. When I look at a server, say the DS920+, I know it has 5 bays. Containers have such a silly small footprint and Synology has a full docker CLI stack for diehards. If you want something that you can just set up once and count on for a long time, go with Synology. Id take a 4- or 5-bay used server (as long as it can run the latest DSM) over a brand-new 2-bay server. After reading your article I am wondering if we are using the server best. We have 5 Synology Servers, all four bay or more and they are so close to perfect it is incredible. When fitted with three or more disks, a Synology NAS will be able to tolerate one disk failing without the loss of any data and all you sacrifice is the capacity of a single hard disk. And theres one more thing. My question is considering the way she uses the NAS, as a daily repository of files she works on both saving new files and accessing ones she stored there should we continue operating the NAS as an SHR volume or use the Cloud Station (or similar type options)? As TV shows have multiple seasons and some episodes are double bills, these can be a little more complicated. Looks like I cant find many ses for sale, so I guess would a j model be sufficient? Desktop form factor NAS come in 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 12 bay options. Just didnt want to scare anyone away from RAID 1, its perfect for someone using an entry level Synology with 2 bays that is upgrading from an external USB hard drive. Those who are confused with the Synology product naming conventions can use this as a guide: "+" series = performance range. Available in all server that supports the new Btrfs file system most Synology server released in the past decade do the Snapshot Replication is an excellent add-on security feature. Id call that a negative many people lost thousands of files and data. That is why I said that picking the number of drive bays is going to be the most important decision. Once uploaded, the plugin will be automatically enabled and categorized into a list of Movie or TV Show according to the information provided by the plugin. Starting with DSM 7, Synology sheds support for third-party USB dongles. That, plus the QuickConnect feature, means you can use your smartphone or tablet to access your server from anywhere. Theres also a +II model, the DS216+II, which is identical to the DS216+ but has a newer processor, as Intel discontinued the old chip. Increasingly, many servers give you the option for a 10GbE Ethernet upgrade. It is but unfortunately the maximum number of hard drives supported does not always equal the number of drive bays your NAS will have. just as this one will be. By the way, make sure you use one of its built-in LAN ports for this part. Its straightforward to set up any Synology NAS box. Part of our reasoning for this is that the server is the least powerful place to do transcoding, and its ultimately better to do it on streaming devices. Not sure if that is right. Each drive model is put through a comprehensive validation test to assure maximum compatibility, reliability, and stability in our NAS. Everything that remains defines its series. There are more than 30 models listed on the companys website, with cryptic names such as RS3617xs+ and DS216+II. Saturday, March 4, 2023 Welcome to the , Extra: Synology servers and their volume size limits, Volume, disk, partition, file system, and more, The leading letters in a Synology NAS servers name, The number part in a Synology NAS servers name, The ending letters/characters in a Synology NAS servers name, Synology NAS server: State-of-the-art operating system, Synology DSMs applicable core settings and features, Advanced storage and user management, with 2-Factor Authentication login, QuickConnect, VPN, DHCP, Dynamic DNS, DNS, and so on, Synology NAS server: Well-thought-out, practical applications, Snapshot and Replication: The ultimate ransomware protection, Extra: Step to migrate to a new or different Synology NAS server, Comparatively high cost, Gigabit by default, expensive upgrades, NAS Server Explained: Redundancy (RAID) and Network Attached Storage Basics. The following are acceptable file naming conventions, I have emboldened my recommended format: Movie Title (1981).avi Movie Title.avi Movie Title 1981.avi. For example as DS415 is a desk top model, with 4 bays, and was released in the year 2015. Is it known how Videostation parses file names when assigning them to shows? Other times shows with a title (in the file name) similar to some TV series shows up as that series. Check out my blog on https://rasmushaslund.com - Rasmus is a Veeam Certified Trainer and passionate about all community work. i have this labeling issue with bunch of TV Shows. But you can go with whichever youd like, if you use SHR-2 (or RAID 6) chances are youre OK. , May I know what brand of HDD you operate for yours NAS now? Additional information can be found here: https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/How_to_apply_for_a_personal_API_key_to_get_video_info. TV Show Naming Conventions Following Plex TV show naming conventions is key to having Plex correctly download the metadata for each episode of a TV series. And yes, if you have a 2-bay server, RAID 1 is a must as I explained in the SHR section. This powerful business feature allows the NAS server to be part of a network with a Windows Server. Instead, write Synology NAS servers or Synology NAS devices. In order to bridge this gap, you would need to go through a 1GB switch. OK in the long run for disk head its probably better to not be parking the head too much. With options ranging from NAS to DAS, Thunderbolt to SAS and connecting everything up so you can access all your lovely data at the touch of button can be a lot simpler than you think. I plan on getting one and going to use everything that you mentioned you use. If you want a recommended naming scheme and examples take a look TRaSH's Recommended Naming Schemes . July 4, 2022 synology naming conventionbritish white cattle for sale in washingtonbritish white cattle for sale in washington I use Artist- TrackNum - Song Title.mp3 as my naming convention for my personal library, and it appears that YTM just stripped off the "Artist - " part of the equation. In addition, it has only a USB 2 rather than USB 3 port for an external storage device so appears to be a false-economy overall. Synology NAS And Hard Drive Compatibility In 2022 Should I Be Worried? Well, thats true for all servers none can handle unlimited storage space. My major concern when opting to use software vs hardware RAID is reliability of consumer grade HW RAID controllers. Some are also easier to use, and most are more affordable than those from Synology. If anything starts behaving poorly you immediately know the culprit. None is successful and thats what that matters. Hard drives dont last forever. (Stuck with DSM 5, this server is outdated, and I now use it primarily for its sentimental value.). That said, you need to learn how to use them from scratch. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/weemple-video-tools/9njrdv6jzn76. Bought a QNAP TVS series Performance was stellar and having Thunderbolt 3 connectivity was cool, along with 10GBaseT performance. You connect your NAS to an expansion unit with a single cable which is a large point of failure. Which NAS will pull 150 low-resolution video views on smartphones through a single local site. I wonder if I should use the Italian names for the episodes and whether I should name the files in the style Commissario Montalbano S01E01 The Snack Thief (or should I use the Italian title Il ladro di merendine). Here you will select the naming convention for the actual movie files. TV Show - It should follow the format: TV show name.SXX.EYY.ext. http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php, https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/VideoStation/category, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/weemple-video-tools/9njrdv6jzn76, https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/How_to_apply_for_a_personal_API_key_to_get_video_info. RAID 1 is definitely about data survival and not performance. Yes, totally, Mark. The numbers after DS or RS is where it gets a bit confusing. You can also subscribe without commenting. Like all content on this website, this post is not sponsored. 3. Most importantly, DSM is consistent throughout the entire Synology ecosystem. Ive worked on most Synology home and SMB servers, starting with the first servers released over a decade ago. ago u/StorageReview Synology has quietly added support for M.2 SSD volumes. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. All Synology NAS servers run a Linux-based operating system called DiskStation Manager (DSM), of which the latest 7th revision came out in July 2021. Also, in the later model years the RAM is error correction code (ECC) memory. The list below is based on the information from Synology. In choosing this option then I assume using hyperbackup daily to backup to C2 AND a usb external drive would be the safe way to move, yes? Afterward, all data and most settings of the old server will be present in the new one. 2. Before you can choose your number of drive bays there is one crucial benefit of a NAS that you must understand and may possibly never have heard of. Weakened CPUs, soldered memory, case design, etc. How many drive bays your NAS has is probably the most important decision you will make because it determines how much data your NAS can store before expansion. The most favourable brand seemed to be Synology so I finally decided to take the plunge and purchase one. We have seen in the past where a third-party drive maker has validated drives and then later updates their firmware without telling us so that their drives are no longer compatible. Buy Seagate IronWolf Pro or Western Digital Red Pro hard drives. It's easy! Required fields are marked *. Hi Dong, Im very curious why you did not comment on the usefulness of Photo Station / Moments. I hope you can use it and be happy with it! There is no other option. When it comes to NAS server, Synology is FAR ahead in the game. In general, the first number indicates the maximum number of bays that the unit can expand to. It has a fast Ryzen CPU, upgradable ECC RAM, and 8 drive bays. There are numerous Video Station threads on dropped and missing codecs which have been ignored. Dependent on the number of drives they can house, their hardware specs, and release year, you'll see names like DS1621+, RS1619xs, FS1018, and so on. In any case, dont use NVMe cache it wont help in most cases. Download Station will come in handy if you need a large file that takes a long time to download, such as an ISO file of a Linux distro. If you look at compatibility lists for the newest models, some of them mostly or exclusively list Synologys own drive models, which I am guessing are just rebadged drives of another make with maybe a minor firmware tweak. How to Add Movies to a Library They can also trust specific devices, making subsequent logins more convenient. So if you're looking for a model that sits on top of a desk (as most home users would), then you want a DS model. Pick the detected server and follow the wizard to install the DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system directly from Synologys website and finish with the initial setup process. Using multiple volumes can be a good practice since it gives you more options for backup and replication. For years, Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) a proprietary flexible RAID configuration alone has made Synology servers superior to those from other vendors. This is around 40 cheaper than the DS216j, but it has only a single-core 800MHz processor and 256MB rather than 512MB of RAM. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Synology VideoStation Movie & TV Folder Naming Conventions. Well, for example, Synology DiskStation DS720+ will be able to meet our needs? RX (RackStation Expansion): This one is another expansion unit, but for an RS server. We just bought the 420j to be able to smoothly take the 414j hdds and just plug and play. I will redo the bonding. The benefit of this naming scheme is to prevent download loops which can occur on import when there is a discrepancy in the release title compared to the contents of the file itself (for example, if the release title says DTS-ES but the contents are actually DTS). By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. (Advanced Option) This is where you will set the naming convention for the folder that contains the video file. Hi Dong, Devices with a 10GB Eth plugged into a 10/100 device (switch, PC, etc.) Thanks for the article. Maybe someone else can fill in the details that I'm not as familiar with. Double-click on it when you find something, and the download will start. How much storage could our NAS potentially have? So it seems some of my older units are from 2013 and 2015and you know what, theyre still awesome on dsm 6 for just being storage, easily maxing out gigabit even with a single drive. But the server can support subsequent larger HDDs. DSM is robust and has excellent context-based help and description. May be unrelated but when i try to configure the external access, the RT-AX89X is not listed in the list of routers for automatic configuration. I want both 10g Ethernet and 2x NVMe SSD for cache and I have to choose one or the other via a card. Therefore, put the most important information first. It's a better idea to get it up and running in its default state to ensure that there are no defective parts. At code reviews, we can focus on important design decisions or program flow rather than argue about naming. Like all OSes, DSM has essential functions, such as user management, network settings, security, shared folders, Time Machine backup support, and many others. Furthermore, generally, Synology servers require Synology-approved hardware RAM, network cards, hard drives, SSDs, etc. If you have a rack that you'd like to mount one in, then you want a RS model. If you see a max drive listed in the specs, that means thats the top capacity of HDDs available at the time of the servers release. Starts with two letters representing the form factor. Also, if you use two drives, you might want to use two SSDs since you will need to use them in RAID 1 (or SHR equivalent). It is at this point in time that I cannot really make any concrete suggestions because this is an entirely subjective decision based on how much storage you think you'll need and how many hard drives you're comfortable purchasing. In cases where you group your movie files together (not within individual folders for each movie), you'll need to make sure that the files are named appropriately.

Flyer Delivery Jobs Auckland, Articles S