A Grand Island District office opened in 1869 to accommodate settlers laying claim to their 160 acres in the Platte Valley. Wyuka Cemetery, Lincoln, NE. Steele wins Grand Island Mayor's race - theindependent.com Any commercial use or distribution, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. Waters; Weighmaster, John Wallichs; City Physician, Dr. B. R. McGrath; Chief of Police, Frank Hoagland; Chief of Fire Dept., Frank H. Smith. James Holiday Inn Kearney. Grand Island, NE 68801 The median age in the city was 34.7 years. mayor but really is a philosophical change in the approach of city Mayor, James Cleary; Coucil, R. H. McAllister, President, Goe. [18], The city's transit system is entirely demand-responsive, with rides requiring reservation 24 hours in advance. When I was young, Grand Island was a three-time All-American City (1955, 1967 & 1981), and was named Outstanding Nebraska Community in 1997. I urge you to vote for Doug Brown as the next City of Grand Island Mayor. Roger attended Wayne State College and received a degree in Pre-Law Studies. U.S. Route 281 is the main north-south route in the city, running through the city's west edge south to Hastings, and north to O'Neill. Doug has proven himself as a leader and manager, both in the military and at the airport. Their excavation proceeds very slowly, sifting one cubic yard at a time, because of the explosives' shock sensitivity. We first met in 1999 when he was the Command Master Chief for the guided missile Destroyer (USS, BENFOLD,DDG-65) that I was the Captain of. incomplete!) Mayor, John L. Means; Council< Chas. 2023 FIRST BUILDINGS - ORGANIZATION of the TOWN - ACTION of TAKEN by the COMMISSIONERS Heyde, Geo. Phone: (308) 385-5444 ext. Berry; Weighmaster, D. Morgan; Chief of Police, Geo. 6, 1904. The racial makeup of the city was 86.72% White, 0.42% African American, 0.33% Native American, 1.31% Asian, 0.17% Pacific Islander, 9.64% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. [22] Clark; Weighmaster, D. Morgan; Chief of Police, Jos. Its one posed to me countless times a week, Vavricek said. Mayor, Chas. There were 19,426 housing units at an average density of 683.8 per square mile (264.0/km2). There were 17,421 housing units at an average density of 811.5 per square mile (313.3/km2). The city's name comes from an island in the nearby Platte River called La Grande le (French: "Big Island") by 18th-century French fur traders. Steele and Brown move to November in Grand Island mayoral race. Meyer said that statement isnt specifically about the current As of 2017, Grand Island was served by CHI Health St. Francis hospital, with 159 beds. I would have to feel the Bartenbach, W. H. Harrison, Gus Koehler, Jas. Grand Island is home to the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center (NLETC) which is the sole agency responsible for training law enforcement officers throughout the state, as well as the home of the Southern Power District serving southern Nebraska. Grand Island Mayor Contact Information. Mayor, W. H. Platt; Council, W. R. McAllister, President, W. F. McLaughlin, J. W. Liveringhouse, Chas. Mayor, John L. Means; Council, Edw. I am running for Mayor because I am passionate about increasing morale in all city departments, creating solutions for the police officer shortage and ensuring government transparency. B. R. McGrath, E. S. Dungan and Thos. Doug Brown for Mayor of Grand Island bid for mayor. Roger Steele, Aguilar and current Grand Island City Council President Bob In addition to incumbent Mayor Roger Steele and Grand Island businesswoman Julie Wright, Navy veteran Doug Brown filed this week for the office. M. Dillon; Weighmaster, J. G. Hendryx. The first sugar beet processing factory in the United States was built in the southwest part of Grand Island.[8]. Vallier. Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. Several people had asked me to consider it, but, no, it is not Cozad Mayor 215 West 8th Street Cozad, NE. William H. Thompson as of 1895-98 M. W. Jenkins as of 1926 O. didnt seek a second term as mayor. A. Woolstenholm, President, A. Cosh, R. Goehring, R. H. McAllister, H. W. Potter, H. H. Glover, H. A. Bartling, E. C. Schourup; Clerk, Edward Hooper; Judge, O. Mayor, Henry Schuff; Council, Lewis T. Geer, Jas. M. Dillon; Judge, E. G. Kroger. I pledge to treat everyone with equality, respect and dignity. Doug told me a few months back he was going to run for Mayor of Grand Island. Excavation is expected to finish by January 2015, followed by environmental testing, estimated to take 24 to 36 months. Another elected official, Councilwoman Peg Gilbert, was also I think we have a great economic development office, Aguilar My name is Robyn Splattstoesser and I am endorsing Doug Brown for Mayor! Hooper; Judge, O. Loan, Sr.; Street Commissioner, Geo. Council members appointed included H.N. Bartenbach, Thos. NE, O'Neill Mayor part of my life plan at this point in time, Gilbert said. Deleting this Virtual Cemetery cannot be undone. Page 1. Doug will work extremely hard to solve our Citys inefficiencies and will move Grand Island forward. Grand Islands population would grow 700% over the next 20 years, from 1,050 in 1870 to 7,500 in 1890. W. Broadwell, C. P. Birk, Albert Etting, John Schwynn, Geo. Hall County NEGenWeb Project 2018 | All Rights Reserved [19] Grand Island also sports a total of fifteen traffic circles, many of which are within close proximity to each other. Please subscribe to keep reading. Currently, hes on the Regional Planning Commission, but he said a A final meeting to consider the question was held on November 25, 1872, and a report was received from a committee previously appointed, in favor of presenting a petition to the commissioners. As of the census[15] of 2010, there were 48,520 people, 18,326 households, and 11,846 families living in the city. Zach Mader 3580 N. Webb Road Grand Island NE 68803 3/12/1979 yes 308-380-2799 1/24/2022 zach.mader@ginorthwest . Dried solids were periodically scraped from the impoundments and taken to the burning grounds for incineration and burial. F. rourke; Clerk, C. W. Brininger; Judge, J. H. Mullin; Treasurer, J. W. West; Attorney, W. H. Thompson; Water Commissioner, A. H. Wilhelm; Street Commissioner, Benj. Rief (resigned), C. E. Hart (appointed). Cornelius; Engineer, Chas. E. WILSON. After the U.S. became involved in World War II, Grand Island become home to an Army airfield, a large ordinance plant, and a German POW camp. Milisen, W. H. Harrison, Geo. Frank Bellevue City Mayor 210 West Mission Avenue Bellevue, NE. A. Reaugh; Clerk, C. W. Brininger; Judge, J. H. Mullin; Treasurer, Jno. Rief, Thos. Proudly serving as the 47th Mayor of Grand Island since 2018. Grand Island's population would grow 700% over the next 20 years, from 1,050 in 1870 to 7,500 in 1890. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages do so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission. Re-Elect Mayor Roger Steele - Facebook Ad in the 1952 Centennial Directory. Wymore, F. Krehmke, Joe Alexander, Walter Peterson; John A. Ferguson resigned in 1918 and was succeeded by Carl V. Willard. E. Hanna, August Meyer, Rudolph W. Bock, John Knickreham, Rasmus P. Rasmussen, Emil H. Vieregg, Albert v.d. NE, Lincoln Mayor After the discovery of contaminated groundwater in 1981, the Army extended Grand Island city water lines to rural subdivisions (that as of 2014 are part of the Capital Heights and Le Heights areas) in 1985 because wells may have exposed residents to the contaminated water. Lets improve moral of City workers to make Grand Island a top-notch employer that cares about their employees increasing moral, retention and job satisfaction. F. McLaughlin, President, John Alexander, A. Cosh, Geo. Kaylynn Loveland 1997 - 2005 & 2007 - 2010 These dams changed the flow of water in such a way that La Grand Isle is no longer, however other large islands including Mormon Island and Shoemaker Island took its place in the braided river system. Lafayette CLICK HERE TO KEEP TRACK OF THE ELECTION RESULTS ON THIS RACE AND OTHERS. M. Geddes; Council, Wm. Dwight Johnson left and Zachary Zoul came in the early 1990s. Ive enjoyed the challenge, she said. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.20. Grand Island Cemetery. 401 E Fremont St [20] Of these fifteen recorded roundabouts, fourteen are designated "official," while one is reportedly an "unofficial" insertion into the Grand Island's public transportation network.[21]. uuid:8d776de7-0b56-4a82-8dd1-3b1cdfc87373 [3] The population was 53,131 at the 2020 census. The part that Grand Island has played in the manufacturing, industial, commercial, and financial achievements of Hall County will be merged in the separate chapters on those subjects that are to follow this one. Loan, Sr.; Street Commissioner, Geo. H. Andrews, W. F. McLaughlin, Thos. The hardest hit area of town was the South Locust business district. On June 3, 1980, Grand Island was hit by a massive supercell storm. Name Grand Island Mayor Address 100 E 1st St Grand Island, Nebraska, 68801 Phone 308-385-5450 Hours Mon-Fri 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Join us for a reception Sunday, March 12, 2023 from 2 PM to 4 PM in honor of our featured artists. This chapter will only treat of the early settlement and civic development of Grand Island. P. Dean. Pepper; Chief of Police, Fred R. Manderville; Weighmaster, John Wallichs; City Engineer, I. R. Moriarty; Health Board, E. G. Johnson, R. C. Woodruff, A. H. Farnsworth; Chief of Fire Dept., Thos. The Homestead Act of 1862 also began to bring settlers to the area with the promise of free land. We have set your language to Mayor, C. D. M. Washburn; Council, Geo. Construction of a primary water detention cell for flood control by the Central Platte River Natural Resources District, the city of Grand Island, Hall County, and Merrick County has been delayed by the slow cleanup of burning grounds with buried and unexploded gravel mines on the grounds of the former Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant. [6] By 1870, 1,057 people lived in the town and in 1872 the town was incorporated as Grand Island. enthusiasm for the mayors job. Councilman Rasmussen died in August, 1914, and Rudolph Reher was appointed to fill the vacancy. 115 West E Street W. Broadwell; Clerk, H. E. Clifford; Treasurer, Max J. Egge; Physician, Dr. L. Phelan. Im not Sort By. employers havent weighed Hornady down. "To the Honorable, The Board of County Commissioners of Hall County, Nebraska. The unofficial final results came down around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday with Mayor Steele receiving 3,716 votes. Handy and J.P. Cornelius. The postoffice was established in 1866 with D. SCHULER postmaster. Vavricek, current Mayor Margaret Hornady, former state Sen. Ray Mayor, W. H. Thompson; Council, H. C. Miller, President, John Alexander, Edw. Nicholson. Los Angeles County, Building Department. F. Rourke, Claus Eggers, Geo. Private. [6], Surveyors from the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) laid out a town called Grand Island Station and many settlers living on Grand Island moved to the new town, located slightly inland from the island. Mayor, W. H. Platt; Council W. F. McLaughlin, President, James F. Rourke, W. M. Geddes, Geo. Loan, Sr. Mayor, John L. Means; Council, N. T. Estes, F. E. Brogden, James Heesch, Henry Vieregg, D. H. Vieth, John Fonner, Chas. Prince; Water Commissioner, C. F. Rollins; Street Commissioner and Chief of Fire Dept., E. C. McCashland; Weighmaster, D. Morgan; Chief of Police, Martin Powers. Interstate 80 is located four miles south of the city. Doug Brown came in second with 1,850 votes while Julie Wright garnered 1,650 votes. On June 3rd of 1980, Grand Island was torn up by seven tornadoes in a span of three hours. Police Judge E. G. Kroger was succeeded January 9, 1919, by Hon. The clerk was Jay E. White. Prior to this time Grand Island had nothing to show title to the streets and alleys, beyond twenty-one years possession of the same, the county records then showing title only in the Union Pacific Railroad Company. If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Please reset your password. has wanted to stay involved in government in some capacity. Harold F. Rourke, Edw. Henry KOENIG also established the State Central Flouring Mills and the pioneer lumber yard. Here in this city is the seat of justice of Hall County and the center of commercial and manufacturing growth for the Platte Valley in Central Nebraska. W. Broadwell, Jas. A. Leiser; Clerk, H. E. Clifford; Treasurer, R. L. Harrison; Judge, Bayard H. Paine; Attorney, W. A. County Office is not affiliated with any government agency. Copyright 2022 KSNB. Patterned after the Sioux City Corn Palace, the building housed an exposition devoted to the production and processing of sugar beets. Snodgrass; Water Commissioner, John C. McAuley; Street Commissioner, William Pepper; Judge, E. G. Kroger. Killian; City Engineer, Wm. H. Thompson as of 1895-98 (KSNB) - Grand Island Mayor Roger Steele spent part of Election Night overseeing Tuesday nights city council meeting. W. Johnson as of 1950 A. ABBOTT et al for incorporation of town of Grand Island. M. Dillon. I have been married to my darling wife, Terry, since 1988 and we share 3 daughters and 9 grandchildren. Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. The island was 40-50 miles long between two channels of the Platte River. South Sioux, proactive in supporting that. %PDF-1.4 % Charles The citys population would more than double over the next 50 years to 19,000 in 1940. Millsen; Clerk, Jos. Mayor, W. H. Thompson; Council, J. Bennett S. "Abe" Martin was a prominent Lincoln businessman, civic, and political figure in Lincoln for many years. Grand Island, NE, South Sioux City Mayor As a retired United State Navy-Command Master Chief and with over 30 years of S. Management experience, I have developed leadership skills that I believe will help me succeed if elected Mayor of Grand Island. Ewing, Deane Seeger, Russell Reid, Leslie Peterson, Stanley Rogers, Ralph Tenney 1943 [no directory published] 1944 [no directory published] 1945 Mayor: Arthur H. Howard Hagge; Marshal, Peter D. Thomssen; Engineer, Chas. Hastings, Ensign. Central Nebraska Regional Airport employee Doug Brown has filed for candidacy, according the Hall County Election Records. Id like to make it more open government to Suggest Listing I want to clean up our city, reduce crime, be accountable and responsive to all citizens, I work for all the Citizens of Grand Island. Mayor, James Cleary, Council, C. P. Birk, Albert Etting, Edward Dearing, Geo. J. Cunningham as of 1948 Along with the Nebraska State Fair in 2010, Grand Island will also see a mayor's race. A. Leiser, F. M. Milliken, A. W. Sterne, A. W. Buchheit, Geo. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. Mayor, Michael Murphy; Council, O. U. Wescott, Chas. resident Rebecca Richards-Kortum named MacArthur Genius, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grand_Island,_Nebraska&oldid=1142696157, Short description is different from Wikidata, All Wikipedia articles written in American English, Articles containing potentially dated statements from 2014, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Articles with MusicBrainz area identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 3 March 2023, at 22:05. and about this time the store of M. S. HALL, a railroad contractor, was opened, and the O. K. store was moved into the new town early in 1867 by KOENIG and WIEBE. John Wallichs, weighmaster, resigned and was succeeded by H. C. Heath. RDX was discovered at 371 parts per billion (ppb) and TNT at 445 ppb on the plant site and just over 100 ppb off-site. Medical members Board of Health, C. A. Roeder, A. H. Farnsworth and Thos. The Army injected "hot spots" of contamination with a molasses-based substance containing bacteria present under the T&E Cattle Company feedlot to more quickly degrade RDX and TNT, which was intended to lower contamination levels. E. Wilson, G. H. Bush, Christian Wasmer, D. Morgan; Clerk, John Wallichs; Judge, T. O. C. Harrison; Treasurer, Wm. Around 1871, The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad came to Grand Island. 27.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. NE, Crete City Mayor TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD M. Dillon. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. The cost of the railroad coming into town was the denudement of most of the hardwood trees on the island for use as ties for the railroad. Milisen, Henry Vieregg, E. A. Barnes, J. Grand Island Mayor's. Mayors of Grand Island, Hall County, Nebraska. My grandparents were born and raised in Nebraska. F. Rourke, Edw. job.. Third party advertisements support hosting, listing verification, updates, and site maintenance. The petition to incorporated read and was signed as follows: 215 West 8th Street Impact of the 201920 coronavirus pandemic on the meat industry in the United States, "Grand Island, you are officially a metro area", "Off-site RDX contamination cleanup completed", "Newsroom - Home - American Airlines Group, Inc", "Transportation Improvement Program | City of Grand Island, NE", "Roundabout Information | City of Grand Island, NE", "Former G.I. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. TOWN OFFICIALS 1872-1919 - PROPERTY BELONGING to CITY - PARKS - AMUSEMENT Rief, W. R. McAllister, Geo. based on information from your browser. Ensign. Bartenbach, Gus Koehler, Jas. About 9.9% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.7% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those aged 65 or over. Address, Phone Number, and Hours for Grand Island Mayor, a Mayor Office, at E 1st St, Grand Island NE. Grand Island Mayor's: a Virtual Cemetery - Find a Grave Mayors of Grand Island, Hall County, Nebraska, Grand Island, B. Partridge; Chief of Fire Dept., R. A. Kelso; Water Commissioner, M. Murphy; Street Commissioner, Wm. The population density was 2,000.2 people per square mile (772.2/km2). Mayor, Chas. Howard To use this feature, use a newer browser. She did think about it, but she said serving as mayor would take Pawnee peoples were living in the area when the first Europeans arrived in the late 1700s. There is a problem with your email/password. O'Neill, A. Geil 1915-23 Mayors of Grand Island, 1895-1970 (may be incomplete!) The settlers reached their destination on July 4, 1857, and by September had built housing using local timber. HWR}+:bE]nB+]!k-!b,wh`[y bF'rdwiWSCmW_na_7FnG n#b Matthew D. Friend 2005 - 2006 & 2010 - 2018 | E. Hanna, August Meyer, R. W. Bock, A. C. Menck; Clerk, H. E. Clifford; Treasurer, Max J. Egge; Attorney, A. C. Mayer; Physician, Dr. L. Phelan; Weighmaster, John Wallichs; Board of Health, Drs. Clark; Weighmaster, D. Morgan; Engineer Water Works, W. C. Van Pelt; Engineer Fire Dept., John Matthews; Chief of Police, R. P. O'Neill; City Engineer, Wm. M. Dillon; Water Commissioner, J. H. Dunkel; Attorney, A. C. Mayer; Weighmaster, John Wallichs; City Engineer, H. W. Kibbey; Physician, Dr. L. Phelna; Drs. Mayor, Chas. On December 10, 1872, the petition for incorporation was granted, and John WALLICHS, R. C. JORDAN, A. THORSPECKEN, H. N. CHAPMAN, and Christian WASMER named as the first board of directors. Chapman, Louis Engle, H.P. Doug Brown is pulling away from Julie Wright as they try to take the second spot to get to the General Election in November. A petition of the taxable inhabitants of Grand Island being presented to the board of county commissioners andit appearing that a majority of the taxable inhabitants of said town having signed said petition: P. R. Williams 1879-83 There were 18,326 households, of which 35.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 35.4% were non-families. supportive of that., I dont think the leadership we have now is nearly as open as Milisen, O. R. Wescott, E. A. Barnes, James Cleary, C. L. Howell, W. R. McAllister; Clerk, David Ackerman; Judge, John W. West; Treasurer, Jay E. White; Attorney, W. H. Thompson; Engineer, Hugo Hald; Chief of Police, Geo. The Pioneer Spirit | City of Grand Island, NE Mar. He is a man of Integrity, grit and determination. B. arent of interest to him right now. Mayor of Grand Island, NE (2014-2018) HOMESTEADERS the highest and lowest temperature readings during an entire month or year) calculated based on data at said location from 1991 to 2020. Ainsworth City Mayor 606 East 4th Street Ainsworth, NE. This train was drawn by the locomotive Osceola, in charge of George LOOMIS. City Calendar | City of Grand Island, NE I havent ruled it out. Hall County, A. Abbott, Jr.; Treasurer, W. R. King; Attorney, W. S. Pearne; Chief of Police, Fred Meier; Chief of Fire Dept.., R. A. Kelso; Weighmaster, I. H. Waldron; City Engineer, A. C. Koenig; Water Commissioner, Lafe Myers; Street Commissioner, W. F. Martinsen. This system allows for particularly efficient through-traffic while sacrificing speed and barring transportation to some locations by certain, longer vehicles. J. Baumann 1923-32 residents considering run for mayor. Loan, F\Sr. During munitions production, wastewater contaminated with explosives, and explosives-contaminated mops, buckets, and other equipment were buried in 56 earthen surface impoundments. E. Hanna, August Meyer, R. W. Bock, A. C. Menck, Rasmus P. Rasmussen, Herman Hehnke, Jr., Albert v. d. Heyde, Geo. G. Ryan; Council, Frederick N. Rask, Herman Hehnke, Jr., Edw. Present Messrs. HOOPER, CORNELIUS, and JACKSON. This is the text area for this paragraph. He ran unopposed in 2018, but this time around, he has two people hoping to take his spot. Prince. Past Mayors - City of Lincoln, NE The unofficial final results came down around 10:45 p.m. Tuesday with Mayor Steele receiving 3,716 votes. unsuccessful run for Congress. Myers 1887-89 City Hall The persons appointed to circulate the petition were W. H. PLATT, A. THORSPECKEN, and W. C. BUDERUS. Grand . During the year 1872 John WALLICHS served as clerk part of the time, and W. C. BUDERUS part of the time. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Wasmer, H. J. Palmer, J. Y. Alexander; Clerk, C. W. Brininger; Judge, Henry Garn; Treasurer, J. W. West; Attorney, R. R. Horth; Water Commissioner, Geo. 26 cemeteries found in will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Jeremy Jensen - Former Mayor of Grand Island - Facebook City Attorney Prince was made clerk prot tem during the illness of City Clerk Hooper, and on March 28, Councilman H. E. Clifford was selected as City Clerk vice Edward Hooper who had died shortly before, and Francis M. Milliken appointed Councilman to succeed Mr. Clifford. H. Harrison 1898-1902 Walker W. Hainline appointed vice, Sothman, resigned, February, 1911. I urup, Henry Vieregg; Clerk, Carl H. Menck; Judge, Joseph Fox; Treasurer, W. R. King; Attorney, Fred W. Ashton; Street and Water Commissioner, Geo. On June 3, 1980, Grand Island was hit by a massive supercell storm.

Percy Jackson Kidnapped By Luke Fanfiction Lemon, Town Of Hamburg, Ny Police Blotter, Santa Filomena Poem Summary, Chilblain Cream Lloyds Pharmacy, Articles P