Hailing from Newcastle, Australia, she predominantly writes about climate and animal rights issues, alongside her work in psychology. There is not enough money in the world to get me to move from Gods country, North Dakota! Savorys claims dont stand up when you put them under the microscope. Use this compost for your beds rather than buying in compost or fertilisers. Sarah is a Nutrition and Behaviour Change Coach who focuses on helping people to eat in a way that's better for their health AND for the planet. Hi! He's a lover of people and of life. I promise not to sell your information, and if you don't like what I send, you can easily unsubscribe at any point. We already use 3-4 times more fertiliser for each bushel of grain than in the 60s. kiss the ground fact checking - alfarisqatar.com 2021 Plant Based News is a UK-based digital media outlet publishing content about veganism and plant-based living, including news and current events, health, personal transformation stories, features, and recipes. Op-ed: 'Kiss the Ground' Misses the Complexity of Climate Solutions in With no plants to transpire and create the water vapour which condenses to rain, local rainfall also fails, turning the area to desert. kiss the ground fact checking - cnatrainingnyc.com Regenerative agriculture combines 4 practices. Jeff Creque, Rangeland Director, Carbon Cycle Institute. Does the movie miss the mark in any way, or would you have liked to have seen particulartopics covered that were not? Enteric methane is broken down in a short period of time, and microbial methane is the same carbon cycling and recycling over and over. The film begins by examining . For a great deal of land, there are other, more evidence-based ways to sequester carbon. Support regenerative farming movements like Regeneration International Donate Regeneration International | Organic Consumers (netdonor.net) and Kiss the Ground Kiss the Ground (ktgcommunity.com) which are spreading the word. I also thoroughly enjoyed Pauls episode onRich Rolls podcastwhere he speaks at length about Project Drawdown. Healthy soils can store more carbon than all the trees combined! There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. Regardless of the labelthat we choose to adopt, eating this way will nourish the soil, reduce emissions from agriculture, and at the same timereduce the burden of chronic disease in our communities. Did you have any reservations about appearing in it? Directors Joshua Tickell Rebecca Harrell Tickell Writers Johnny O'Hara Joshua Tickell Rebecca Harrell Tickell Stars 1 Claims that holistic grazing can reverse climate change. Kiss the Ground | School for Good Living (2015). Instagram @maggie.eileen.art). This idea reminded me of what I learned from Cradle to Cradle. Farming like nature has also been shown to reduce inputs (costs) and improve yields. BOOM found that the viral video has been cropped from a longer conversation during a press conference where Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned a hypothetical scenario of Ukraine losing the war and Russia invading other NATO countries including the Baltic states in Eastern Europe which would force the US to get involved and send troops. The claim: Video shows cracks in the ground that formed after earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. Cited as the worst man made environmental disaster in history, by the end of 1934 about 200 million acres of croplands had been permanently damaged. Your email address will not be published. There are many things you can do, all varying in difficulty. Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, Kiss the Ground is a full-length documentary narrated by Woody Harrelson that sheds light on an, Awakening people to the possibilities of regeneration. This movie will also counterbalance the cowspiracy environmentalists and others with incorrect understanding of cows. This is the central statement of Kiss the Ground, an eco-educational Netflix documentary directed and produced by Josh and Rebecca Tickell.On-the-ground agricultural practices carried out by millions of individual farmers directly affect the health of the soil, and by extension, global atmospheric carbon levels and the pace of climate change. After looking at all of the available evidence on holistic grazing, and claims made by the likes of Savory, the report concludes that grass-fed livestock are not a climate solution. Stardom is a complicated thing, but at least all that money and power are being put to good use. The documentary is well-produced and in the eyes of a layperson an extremely compelling case for changing the way we grow food. Carrie Richards is not giving up. In fact, in theDrawdown Report,when you factor in the land that would be freed up if the entire world shifted to a plant-rich diet, this becomes the single biggest lever that each of us can pull to lower our individual environmental footprint. This positioning starts with the documentarys focus on theDrawdown Reportby Environmentalist Paul Hawken from Project Drawdown. Its clear to see that levels of CO2 in the atmosphere above the main agricultural areas increase significantly in the main tilling/ploughing months, and then as plant cover increases in the fields, it drops! All chemical soils are almost devoid of microorganisms, so the plant roots cannot get the nutrients they need. Get our weekly editors newsletter & special offers delivered right to your inbox! Now all debates have two sides and Savory has been confronted with this information before. kiss the ground fact checking - keagysbestpriceplumbingtn.com Local water cycles produce 40% of our rainfall. The sort of solution you might suspect is at the top of all climate scientists lists. The movie didn't even include an indictment of current US politics or President Trump, which is notable by its absence considering the film was released so close to election time. If the U.S shifted away from intensive livestock farming to traditional grazing, its been calculated that theavailable grasslands would only be able to produce 27 percent of the countries current beef supply. The difference is immense and plain for anyone to see. By 2050, it is estimated that 1bn people will be refugees of soil desertification. IMPRESS, 16-18 New Brige Street, London, EC4V 6AG. Ground News rates Kiss the Ground Film's media bias as unknown. There is extraordinary potential in the layers beneath our feet our Earths soil. The central tenant is that its a diet that places enormous emphasis on calories from plants and de-emphasizes calories from animal products. #2 - The planet is desertifying (more land is becoming desert), #4 - Our modern farming methods are killing the soils, #5 - Nature has invented the most sophisticated carbon capture method - photosynthesis, #6 - Soils are a huge potential carbon store, #8 - Regenerative farming can reverse climate change, The way we are feeding ourselves is undermining the very ecology were dependent upon. Repeatedly using abstractions to sum up complex issues makes people comfortable talking about soil as if there is one entity, soil, that we (who is we, anyway?) The elephant in the room during the documentary is that they completely failed to mention that a significant amount of the land dedicated to animal agriculture across the world (not all but certainly a lot) needs to be restored to forests (the number one driver of deforestation is animal agriculture) to get anywhere close to meeting our climate goals. Check out Kiss the Ground website, where you will find other ways to be involved and even learn how to Become a Soil Advocate! While Morgan Freemans voice might have been a better match for shots of billowing fields of grain, perhaps Harrelsons raspy tone is an appropriate fit for the seriousness of the climate crisis. berger 215 hybrid 300 win mag. 'Kiss the Ground' Shows How Soil Health Can Save Us From - Treehugger Ray: That a large audience will come away with a basic awareness about the transformative power of our living and life-giving soil. Kiss the Ground is a new, feature-length movie that explores key soil health and regenerative agricultural principles, and features interviews with a wide range of authors, experts, farmers, researchers and scientists. 114k square miles regenerated! I wanted the filmmakers to first understandto let the soil speak and to let nature teach us. Soil organic matter [SOM] is largely created through microbial necromass. Watch the Film OUR COMMUNITY Early farming was small scale, so diversity was ensured, and combined the animals with plants, so the manures could be used as fertiliser, and crops grown on the land could feed the livestock. Garnetts FCRN self published paper basically just repeated Norborgs paper verbatim. I approached this film with professional interest, not just as a News Fellow with Stone Pier Press, but as someone trained in biology at college, regenerative farming at the Rodale Institute (three of the films agricultural experts work/ed here), and food systems at graduate school. Rising animal production and consumption, whatever the farming system and animal type, is causing damaging greenhouse gas release and contributing to changes in land use. This seems like pretty important information that was left off the table. Kris: We are facing a catastrophic cascade in Earths ecosystems impacting human health and the global economy which fundamentally rests in pressures stemming from changes in the economic and ecological agricultural landscape due to climate change and escalating worldwide competition for natural resources and commodities, including petroleum, natural gas, grains,oilseeds, and proteins. One of the first characters introduced in Kiss the Ground is Ray Archuleta, a conservation agronomist. Kiss the Ground | Successful Farming The Lhos plateau in China, an area larger than Belgium, had become a dusty wasteland after over farming. Consumers need to do their part by supporting pastured proteins. A plant-rich dietary pattern that places emphasis on regeneration but really could be chopped in a number of ways to suit the individual Mediterranean, paleo, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, etc can all be done in a plant-predominant manner. It turned out to be more involved than I imagined. Theyre disconnected form the real world. Kiss the Ground Movie Review | Common Sense Media I graduated from Vanderbilt University with degrees in Political Science, Economics and Spanish, and I currently study law in Texas. Mitos y realidades sobre las algas | Mitos y realidades sobre las algas Since chemical agriculture ramped up in the 70s, we have lost 1/3 of the worlds topsoil. There are a number of others as well as many more in the pipeline. My hubby is from Alberta, the beef province of Canada and he was telling me about how land intensive pasture raised animals are. are needed to help heal the earth. Please read our Comment policy before commenting. Weaker soils need more chemicals. 94 views, 12 likes, 2 loves, 3 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Escuela Esmaca: Mitos y realidades sobre las algas Ms informacin sobre. These carbon rich sugars are used by microorganisms in the soil and (in return for providing minerals and other soil nutrients to the plant roots) secrete a carbon rich glue to hold effectively build their mini environments under the surface. Firstly, just so we are clear, the majority of the worlds mono-crops are fed to livestock. No spam, we promise just our best articles. If we restore all the degraded land, we can return the earth to paradise, making room for biodiversity and feeding the worlds population (with lowered animal protein consumption). If not, heres what you can do to join the regenerative farming movement, or at least help make things better . can scoop up and heroically rescue. What do you hope will be an outcome from the movie? Kris: Yes. While the film can at times feel like a jumble of connected concepts and issues with an occasional celebrity cameo, the documentary is overall optimistic. Heres below are just a handful of recent PEER REVIEWED papers supporting HPG. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I enjoyed Woody Harrelson as a narrator; he felt genuine. Hi there to all, for the reason that I am genuinely keen of reading this websites post to be updated on a regular basis. But its the reality we face. This will not only better their own wellbeing because they will be consuming foods higher in nutrient density, but they will also support those who are making a positive impact on the environment. Enterprise, AL 36330. As prices go up, pending one spends the same budget they had previously set aside for meat, their consumption naturally falls. So its incredibly facile. The solution is right under our feet THE SOIL. One thing with ruminant livestock is that when they are use as solar powered mobile composters in brittle environments, their manure, urine and saliva act as inoculates that increase soil microbiology. This is how the natural carbon cycle should work. They thought I had lost my mind, but through hard work and perseverance weve been able to open many eyes through the years. kiss the ground fact checking Regenerated healthy soil greatly increases the carrying capacity of land, so the amount of land needed for regen grazing isnt an issue. Theres also a lot of new recent PEER REVIEWED soil science that demonstrates this. As a last comment, it was brought into the discussion that we shouldnt believe Savory because his decision led to the death of thousands of elephants. So ifKiss the Groundhad taken a more evidence-based approach and included dietary recommendations what would it have looked like? The review is plain evidence that we see what we believe and the reviewers beliefs greatly clouded their vision. Kris: When I was working as the Chief Scientist with the Rodale Institute, I was asked to be interviewed by the Kiss the Ground team who were also interviewing Maria Rodale. Take the Inflammation quiz - what's your level? All natural systems exist in balance, with a diversity of plants and animals. Its within this context, that it becomes so vividly apparent, that in this conversation we are not just talking about planetary health, but at its core, human health. Ray: Initially, when I first met the Kiss the Ground group, I told them that I was really concerned about how they should approach the landowners. Kiss the Ground has been active in this space for a while and is a California-based 501(c)(3) environmental non-profit telling a new story about our ability to regenerate land and reverse climate change by building back healthy soil. And as the documentary states, shifting us from climate warming to climate cooling. Talking about the importance of beingbetter stewards of our land, and why we must do a better job at protecting our natural resources and ecosystems, is absolutely crucial if our species is to not just thrive on Planet Earth, but survive. Commercial meat farming has one of the highest negative impacts. care as a social process). Specifically, regenerative agriculture is a holistic land management practice that . This is a major oversimplification of our complex and varied farming system. The lazy author of this review makes the same mistaken claim. The first clue is when the documentary makes mention of the natural history of Bison roaming the United States. Given soil grows 95 per cent of our food, and sustains human life, this is a huge problem. I would simply build on the work of Michael Pollan, a well-known science writer: Where possible eat regenerative food, not too much, mostly plants.. I dont know a single holistic management practitioner that advocates cutting down forests to grow more cattle. For teachers, educators, schools, community organizers and home schoolersthanks to a generous grant from the Bia Echo Foundation and Triptyk, there is a free 45-minute-long Educational Version of the Kiss the Ground movie and also a free DVD with both the 85 minute long feature and the educational cut on one disk. Heal the planet is a phrase that implies not only the existence of some kind of natural balance to which we can return, but the existence of a cure that human benevolence can deliver. The natural carbon cycle involves carbon release by animals consuming plant and other organic materials and releasing the carbon as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. That was good enough for me. There are three main points I want to make about holistic grazing that are important for you to understand. Potential mitigation of midwest grass-finished beef production emissions with soil carbon sequestration in the United States of America. When receiving subsidies for crops like corn and beans, farmers know that they will make a profit. Every year 40m people are displaced as their farmlands become desert. One can only presume that the slaughtering of the animal is not about soil quality, but about profits. Regenerative farming restores soils; storing carbon and reducing the need for chemical help to improve yields by harnessing natural processes. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. The rest of our topsoils are projected to be lost within 60 years. Kiss the Ground is a full-length documentary narrated by Woody Harrelson that sheds light on an "new, old approach" to farming called " regenerative agriculture " that has the potential to balance our climate, replenish our vast water supplies, and feed the world. Watch the film trailer here and the full movie on Netflix. However, this was taken from a United Nations speech, which leading soil scientists say isabsolutely not supported by science. The short clip featured Zelenskyy speaking and the audio was that of a translator. Anecdote and expert opinion or theories are at the bottom of the evidence hierarchy, and its not until we see the findings from higher levels of science, reproduced on scale, that we can begin to have confidence in what we are observing. They love their land and lifestyle, they are just trying to survive, while being poisoned themselves by the chemicals they must use to keep their fields producing. (Source: Maggie Eileen Lochtenberg, freelance artist and transformational witch. Factory farms are good at one thing producing a lot of meat in a short period of time to feed a growing appetite for meat. Essentially, Hawken and his team have created a long list of approximately 100 solutions, which when implemented together, would be capable of drawing down more carbon than we are emitting by 2050. I asked Finian Makepeace, the co-founder of the Kiss the Ground organization, to tell me more about how he and the films producers and directors selected our trio of regenerative experts to appear in the movie. Kiss the Ground: Documentary Review - United Church of Christ It only takes a quick read of theDrawdown Reportto realize that this is absolutely unfounded its going to take an enormous amount of solutions to radically transform our energy and food systems to reverse climate change, and holistic grazing, while certainly better than intensive farming, is not the miracle carbon-sequestering practice that those watching are led to believe. I was also pleased the documentary shone a light on food waste and composting these are two things that many of us can introduce into our daily lives with minimal barriers to entry. Kiss the Ground (2020) - IMDb shabu shabu groupon. Kiss the Ground review and summary | EAT THINK EXPLORE On-the-ground agricultural practices carried out by millions of individual farmers directly affect the health of the soil, and by extension, global atmospheric carbon levels and the pace of climate change. Ultimately, if high consuming individuals and countries want to do something positive for the climate, maintaining their current consumption levels but simply switching to grass-fed beef is not a solution. Unfortunately, Savory seems to have led himself to believe that his unscientific approach should be expanded across the world really, tear down more forests to make room for holistic grazing? 209 South Oak Ridge Drive Farm work is unglamorous, underappreciated, and not very well-paid for the most part, but it just so happens to be crucial to the survival of our species. In other words, his claims cannot be supported by data, replicated by others and he doesnt believe in science. "All farmable soil could be gone in 60 years. All of us make critical decisions every day as we manage our lives and we dont consult the literature when making those decisions. As Hannah Ritchie, Phd (Geosciences) puts it: Whether you buy it from the farmer next door or from far away, it is not the location that makes the carbon footprint of your dinner large, but the fact that it is beef.. But I also experienced the same misleadingparadigms from the conservative groups like Farm Bureau and other commodities groups. And of course, havinginterviewedthe co-founders ofKiss the Ground, Ryland Engelhart and Finian Makepeace, in early 2020, I was particularly excited to watch theKiss the Grounddocumentary(and I recommend you watch it too if you havent already). . Despite all of this, my fear is that many will be left with a complete misunderstanding of where environmental science truly lies. We knew the film would really embody the spirit of the regenerative agriculture movement if Ray and Gabe were in it., And from the first days that Kiss the Ground the organization started, the work and research of Kris Nichols were fundamental to grasping why rebuilding soil was not only possible but the biggest solution to the climate, water, and food crises. Lots of problems with Poores paper as well which didnt account for soil carbon or regenerative systems in any of its meta-analysis of averaged LCAs. This is a review Im very familiar with having read through it front to back a handful of times. So cows can actually be used to reverse desertification. The documentary tiptoed around this, failing to make it explicitly clear that the food on our plate has to change, while seemingly wanting us to believe that holistic grazing on its own can reverse climate change. Grow your own veg using your home compost! I was interested in clicking through at there are many types of regenerative agriculture that do not involve animals for more information, but that currently just links back to this article. A revolutionary group of activists, scientists, farmers, and politicians band together in a global movement of "Regenerative Agriculture" that could balance our climate, replenish our vast water supplies, and feed the world. Ill summarise the main points for you in this article; what the issues are, why soil is the answer, and how you can help to save you having to invest the time to watching it yourself. Yes, whats on our plate is even more important than where its come from or buying local. The filmmakers were able to discuss organic and regenerative agriculture, livestock production and veganism, and climate change in a manner that made no individuals or groups either heroes or villains but rather made the soil the hero which is the appropriate focus in my opinion. Shop organic where you can. Will you join us? Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 141(34), 310-322. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2011.03.009, Plus a recent LCA funded by General Mills: Put simply, there are no healthy humans without a healthy planet. Having dedicated many years to researching and communicating the science behind an optimal diet for humans, I understand first hand how our health isinextricably tied to the planets(as detailed inmy upcoming book). The movie is preaching to the choir here, which I think is why I found it disappointing that the filmmakers felt the need to wrap perfectly good explanations of the mechanisms of carbon sequestration and climate change in more evocative but nebulous language like "heal the planet" or "save the soil. The evidence in favor of regenerative agriculture is irrefutable. There are sites where this has been done, and what was desert is now lush grassland with grasses growing taller than people. If we choose healthy foods, there is a reciprocation. If you want to hear a bit more explanation of these, click here or scroll down. BookstoreBook submissionsNewsNewsletter signupRecipesGardening, Our storyGet involvedJobs/FellowshipPartnersContact usPrivacy Shipping & return policy. Animals grazing is a part of the carbon cycle, and part of every healthy ecosystem in wild. This is because there is a legacy load of carbon in the atmosphere an amount of carbon dioxide that will persist for decades, if not centuries. Skip on down to the final thoughts if you dont have time to get more into the facts! But here too Garnett doesnt understand the science. Science can provide us with some valid assumptions, but it does not provide recipes. Let me show you how , Get my FREE guide, and receive eco-friendly eating tips, recipes and motivation. Proof that this works if given the chance. https://asu.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/potential-mitigation-of-midwest-grass-finished-beef-production-em, Machmuller, M. B., Kramer, M. G., Cyle, T. K., Hill, N., Hancock, D., & Thompson, A. Ray: Hope. Id be willing to donate it to them. Or this breakdown of the many myths he perpetuates inThe International Journal ofBiodiversity. Kiss the Ground - YouTube If youve tried and failed before youre definitely in the right place change is hard, but doable with the right process and support! There are a few clues within the documentary that speak to this but they are by no means overtly clear to the viewer. Fact Check: Did Zelenskyy ask young Americans to go to war against Kiss the Ground reveals that, by regenerating the world's soils, we can completely and rapidly stabilize Earth's climate, restore lost ecosystems and create abundant food supplies. If you are wondering whether its worth your time to watch, or want to know the gist but dont have an hour and a half to spare, read on and Ill cover the key points simply and factually for you. They are told that the chemicals will make things better by the companies selling these chemicals, and not helped to learn how to work with nature, rather than against it. On one hand, the use of celebrity ambassadors is an unsubtle but effective tactic to draw casual viewers and followers. Kiss the Ground. Use your local food waste recycling system, and if they dont have one, write to your local council to ask for a food waste collection system. Parents need to know that Kiss the Ground is a 2020 documentary that addresses our current soil erosion crisis throughout the planet and the benefits of practicing "regenerative agriculture." Narrated by Woody Harrelson, the documentary features extensive interviews with farmers, scientists, activists, celebrities, and regular people as they help to create awareness of regenerative .

Robesonian News Obituaries, Articles K