Last year, Verge alumni and Bloomberg reporter Ashley Carman reported that iHeart worked with a firm called Jun Group to essentially buy podcast downloads through video games. Big Money Players and iHeartPodcasts. Be wide open to new industries and new things inside that industry. When I told him this, I was like, You know, like the blockchain!. The toothbrushes were great. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. Simply put, the whole podcast industry in one sense is just the most amazing, best storytelling group of influencers to hit media in a really long time, so we benefit from there being new attention on the influencer market. Eighty million Americans a week listen to podcasts. All of our attention is on audio now because of podcasting. It made perfect sense to me as a consumer 10 years ago or so when I subscribed to Netflix. Yeah. Its not like a low-engagement medium. What is your framework for making decisions? He founded it in a Duke University dorm room, and now hes found his way into podcasting. You have to make a lot of decisions. Humans have a predilection for overcomplicating things. You can feel however you want about it, but we all did it. Is there any tension there at all? Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack OBrien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike FarahConsulting Producer: Andrew SteeleAssociate Producer: Anna HossniehWriter: Jake FogelnestProduction Supervisor: Colin MacDougallThis Tis the season of Spring, and that means time to talk about the one thing thats interesting year round: Christmas. I think Im being conservative with how much of their time is spent on, How do I deploy billions of impressions of house ads a month?. I feel like its still a thriving business. The reason I ask that question all the time is because Im always curious. Yeah, we did a great Decoder episode with Chris Dixon, the lead partner for that stuff at Andreessen Horowitz. The math works out with subscription, but Im not sure how it works out with advertising. The Ron Burgundy Podcast. Ron takes a stab at the most popular genre of his new chosen mediumthe True Crime podcast. He was a great guest, super game to answer the questions, especially in front of a live audience. Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! There has never been a moment in the company that we were sidelined or deprioritized. Those three things let us go from 2018 to 2028 in our own trajectory almost overnight. I think its real. Listen to Decoder, a show hosted by The Verges Nilay Patel about big ideas and other problems. Ron plans an interview with Alex Rodriguez, and takes his cooking skills to the next level with Jon & Vinny. Add to My Podcasts. Look, iHeart is an old company, its a radio company, and Bob Pittman built it in a very particular way. A bonus episode that somehow escaped the vault. Podcasting not to your question, but as a side answer has bucked that a lot to date. The Ron Burgundy Podcast Season One Trailer. Were also co-producing a slate of whole new stuff. And by the way, its not slowing down. Our downloads were 412 million downloads in January, and that was up 12 percent from the month prior. These are objective truths. That's it. Episodes. Its called Hot Pod, written by our very own Ariel Shapiro. He used his podcast as a way to capture that language and report on how a language dies off the face of the earth, never to come back. When we sit with Malcolm Gladwell, Shonda Rhimes, Questlove, or Charlamagne tha God, our own radio DJ, the pitch is, I assure you every single episode of what we make will be available to any listener, wherever they want to pick it up.. Podcasting is a mass-reach medium. Google and YouTube are awesome. Were going to buy ads somewhere where someone will push the button and download the episode, the number will go up, and hopefully some of them will stay. Ive listened to you in the past. Ron Burgundy Accidentally Started 'The Ron Burgundy Podcast' 394,213 views Aug 9, 2019 4.5K Dislike The Late Show with Stephen Colbert 8.84M subscribers Podcasting legend Ron Burgundy. She said, On the podcast, its much looser. I can get all three, all the time. Co-produced by Funny Or Die, the 12-episode "The Ron Burgundy . The Ron Burgundy Podcast Big Money Players and iHeartPodcasts Comedy Society & Culture Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! I think we can do all the innovating with different kinds of marketers from bigger brands, bigger budgets, and maybe long-term, multi-year campaigns. Episode One of "The Ron Burgundy Podcast" talks about one of the most popular genres of podcasts: True Crime. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. To be clear though, theres a whole lot of fluidity between these segments. Not great. We were talking about these giant platform companies. I think some of that is because a lot of the folks who are in power at marketing companies were also in power 10 years ago when the last major downturn happened, and certainly two, three, or four years ago when COVID-19 hit. Is that present for you? 246 episodes totalling 170 hours, 51 minutes. Why did you want to sell to iHeart? In The Rob Burgundy Podcast, the host's chaotic charm meets real-world experts and celebrities. "SmartLess" with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, & Will Arnett is a podcast that connects and unites people from all walks of life to learn about shared experiences through thoughtful dialogue and organic hilarity. Its crazy to see your podcast expressed as a series of note cards by the way its very humbling. Thats what were trying to true up. Will Ferrell stars as his infamous Anchorman character "Ron Burgundy" in his very own comedic podcast. This has made direct response brands lives a little harder, because now theres a lot of competition for their best-kept secret in marketing for like five or 10 years. Charts. I will test anything. Its gone. You dont? Its happening. Carolina Barlow is Will Ferrell's assistant and co-host of The Ron Burgundy Podcast. The tales he unfolds and his interview with a criminal psychologist are positively bone chilling. They had seven or eight podcasts that they were making. The creator and the ad-serving publisher, in our case, are in total control. The tales he unfolds and his interview with a criminal psychologist are positively bone chilling.Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack O'Brien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike . Fast, cheap, and good. We had three or four people who were our formal official sales team at Stuff Media. It has resisted this notion that a podcast episode is supposed to be 28 minutes long and have two ad breaks. Burgundy Rubber Tree (Ficus elastica) Plants with dramatic foliage have continued to evolve as an ongoing houseplant trend, and that won't change for 2023. Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack OBrien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike FarahConsulting Producer: Andrew SteeleAssociate Pro Ron and Carolina take part in a mind expanding interview and meditation session with guru Deepak Chopra. The Ron Burgundy Podcast: With Will Ferrell, Carolina Barlow, Peter Dinklage, RuPaul. Stuff You Should Know is usually up in the 40s. Its because of the venture capital money. Standing back and watching how her and the Shondaland audio team work, it seems they want to use this medium to do two things so far. Its that whole waterfall versus agile thing. Were like, Hey, you should buy podcasting. It made it the medium that the internet promised creators it would give them but hadnt yet. We were a medium-sized website trying to explain everything under the sun through medium-sized articles. I can talk about sexuality or about what trends I do or dont like. The last thing Id say is more of a human thing. One of America's most famous fictional news anchors, Ron Burgundy, is back with his own podcast. LOTS of podcasts have ads okay? The Ron Burgundy Podcast Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! How do you tend to the things in the library that arent the celebrity shows? We have a whole newsletter for podcasters. Will Ferrell has started a podcast as the character he played in the movie of the same name. How do you make sure they sustain? On iHeart Media. I think theres a creative freedom to it that allures a lot of people, but it doesnt have the mass reach of broadcast radio yet. Are you doing that? I think if you were to sit down with any of these creators who are on broadcast radio, they would openly say it to you. Theyre mine. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. The Front Page Podcast with George Gerbo Get the day's top stories in 5 minutes LISTEN: Asking good questions isn't anti-revival The Rebellion Podcast with Everett Piper Do the COVID shots . Ron Burgundy! Ron and Carolina talk with Game of Thrones Peter Dinklage about his favorite poems. All I say to them is, This is no longer an experimental bucket of marketing. Its a massive amount of the stuff we take in and that we call the media. At iHeart, we felt that we wanted to unlock a lot of the value that we had as a company, and we wanted to make it more transparent to the investor community, to audiences, to researchers, and to analysts. I hate to answer it so vaguely. We also co-own a company with Will Ferrell. There is a product lead; Uta Knablein is our chief product officer. Thats not really how it works. Its good content. This thread is archived Or, the negative reason, theyre covering up bad work. Into the whole thing? About. We give a ton of in-show podcast promotion as well. You have a mass-reach medium. Maybe it has something to do with the tools of targeting getting harder, so people are just cycling back to, Humans, tell my story on the platforms where you make stuff. Podcasting, in particular, benefits from this. Theres no ulterior motive or different goal. Its not the kind of game that is usual in this industry. When you say direct response in the context of performance marketing, these are the words the ad agency invented to describe very simple concepts. We tend to think and work sequentially. To answer your other question, if this industry were to wholly move to a platform like Facebook or YouTube, its a different platform. Again, I hate to keep repeating it, but I dont see the problem Id be fixing. I think its the single thing I am most proud of at the iHeart Podcast Network. If I want to hear a perpetually adolescent man scream PEE PEE through my speakers there's a ton of YouTube channels I can subscribe to. Absolutely. No Longer So. It was a smart move on their part to buy a company like HowStuffWorks.com. At the iHeart Network, we have about 70-ish shows in the iHeart Podcast Network that drive over one million monthly downloads or more some of them way more. They apply, they get admitted, we build a bit of a podcast studio at their house, we teach them how to use the gear, we teach them how podcast marketing should work, and most importantly, we teach them what a business deal should look like in podcasting, so that they know walking into it. The NFL is very similar. There were lots of things that moved what were initially experimental marketing dollars from those big brands and holdcos into permanent marketing dollars. iHeart has 1,300 salespeople in all 50 states across 160 or so markets as weve divided up the country. I think its high attentiveness at scale with partners that weve been able to maintain so far. Usually, yeah. Its back to the org chart a little bit with this. All of the distribution points that we distribute to today through RSS feeds are equal to us in terms of the money we make, because thats just how RSS feeds work. Its not that being inside Discovery was bad, it was just different. The Ron Burgundy Podcast A weekly Comedy, Society and Culture podcast featuring Will Ferrell and Carolina Barlow 22 people rated this podcast About Insights Pro Episodes 83 Reviews 11 Creators 15 Lists 9 Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! We taped this episode live at Hot Pod Summit. Even Decoder is bad at marketing; this is as much marketing as weve ever done. Over the last 10 years, I think it has been a question of them figuring out what they are as a platform and what the next chapter for them should be, whether its the metaverse or just doubling down on making newsfeed better. His last remarks drew laughter and claps from co-workers. You should start one. We were actually working and trying to make change together genuinely. We try to organize them into slates that have EPs and producers on top of them. Join America's favorite . Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the Ron Burgundy Podcast. Competitive separation, category exclusivity, and share-of-voice conversations suddenly became possible when you could dynamically insert into ad tags. Youve had a lot of different kinds of careers; youve had to make structure decisions, you have to make video decisions. Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack O'Brien, Miles Gray, and Nick Stumpf, Political History with Doris Kearns Goodwin. A company thats like, A lot of action is in business affairs, is a company that has figured out a bunch of stuff. Will Ferrell stopped by almost all of the late-night TV shows to promote the second season of the Ron Burgundy Podcast, . People were shouting questions at me as I walked through the halls. No. Wheres the tension there? You got it. Exorcising some demons in Rons man cave. Weve dabbled in subscription channels on Apple Podcasts, just because I had creators who came to us and said, Id like to try this. We are very proud of this. Its all about the org chart. Well, we have over $100 million a year in broadcast radio marketing. Cut to 10 years later, and that has become almost as and in some ways more successful than the source of it, the website. It has 29, 30 podcasts under it, and it alone drives 15 to 20 million downloads a month. I think thats it. Those companies are also struggling. Most of people acting strangely, politicking at work, or behaving badly is born out of insecurity. I didnt think I would have or need a robust business affairs department two years ago. I think weve said this publicly. What ensues is a genuinely improvised and authentic conversation filled with laughter and newfound knowledge to feed the SmartLess mind. One San Diego legend joins another for the definitive interview with the San Diego Chicken. Theyll overcomplicate in order to camouflage something they probably shouldnt have done. There are iHeartRadio streaming channels that show up on your electronic programming guide on Roku. Do you worry that you dont have the same control? I dont have this concern in podcasting. Were in total control there. It was the only time Ive ever gotten a call from somebody. That got its own set of executive producers out of LA who shepherd the NextUp program. Just simplicity. So now its digitally infused, data-infused listening that they can target digitally. To try to help with this, iHeart, the multi-platform group, built a product called smart audio thats really cool. There is nothing broken in the podcast distribution and monetization model today. Well tag all of our spots on air with, Listen wherever you get podcasts. Well say our own app, but then well say other apps too. Subscribehere! Thats loosely how its orgd out. You have a content type that is the highest quality in the world, I would argue, out of any content getting made today, except maybe TV, which is pretty good right now but we are right there next to it. Im building up to it. Are you programming across to the radio, saying, Were going to run ads for our podcast on the radio, and youre going to come listen to it? I know Im sort of recapping the obvious, but this was an inflection point in our whole industry, that you suddenly had big brands and sometimes big holdcos swooping in and wanting to invest in podcasting. Radio is a more ruthless industry than podcasts. You should subscribe to it. Up or down on NFTs? It was a packed house and a great time. Go follow Conal on TikTok, its great. We spend $120 million a year it was something specific like $113 million a year the last time we said this out loud of our own on broadcast radio valued impressions or commercials to promote our podcasts. The Ron Burgundy Podcast was distributed as a show on late Sunday night on broadcast radio too. Youre saying we have to innovate and push back in it, but its still just promo codes. Hopefully the truth will be revealed during the first season of the newly announced The Ron Burgundy Podcast. Theres an engineering team that has maybe 100 people at the back end of all of our digital products. Our business affairs team is busy and accounts for a lot of our growth. Aren't. Real. You just saw it happen. In true Ron Burgundy fashion, these conversations have a tendency to go off the rails, and we find out things about people we never . If anything, we have doubled down on this model of partnering with a creator, like a Shonda Rhimes, who wants a big playground thats long-term. See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information. I dont think this is wishful thinking. That feels obvious to me. This has made podcasting different. I didnt know if it would work, but these shows started to pop one after the other because of the broadcast radio promotion that we were giving them.

Jamaican Ginger Cake Trifle Recipe, Articles I