And so, for example, can I get a hamburger? edit transcripts, Improve the presence of your podcasts, e.g., self-service, If you share your Listen Notes page and at-mention. Today, we explore the many facets of this idea. Parents and peers influence our major life choices. Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships. al (Eds. MCWHORTER: Yeah. And dead languages never change, and some of us might prefer those. Hidden Brain Claim By Hidden Brain, Shankar Vedantam Podcasts RSS Web PODCAST SEARCH EPISODES COMMUNITY PODCASTER EDIT SHARE Listen Score LS 84 Global Rank TOP 0.01% ABOUT THIS PODCAST Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships. So LOL was an internet abbreviation meaning laugh out loud or laughing out loud, but LOL in common usage today doesn't necessarily mean hysterical laughter. You can find all Hidden Brain episodes on our website. GEACONE-CRUZ: It describes this feeling so perfectly in such a wonderfully packaged, encapsulated way, and you can just - it rolls off the tongue, and you can just throw it. VEDANTAM: The moment she heard it, Jennifer realized mendokusai was incredibly useful. Let's start with the word literally. And it irritates people, but there's a different way of seeing literally. We're speaking today with cognitive science professor Lera Boroditsky about language. But if I give that same story to a Hebrew or an Arabic speaker, they would organize it from right to left. VEDANTAM: The word chair is feminine in Italian. You're not going to do any of the things that are seen as a foundation of our technological society. And it's sad that we're not going to be able to make use of them and learn them and celebrate them. If you're bilingual or multilingual, you may have noticed that different languages make you stretch in different ways. So you have speakers of two different languages look at the same event and come away with different memories of what happened because of the structure of their languages and the way they would normally describe them. And they said, well, of course. So one possibility for bilinguals would be that they just have two different minds inside - right? As someone who works in media, I often find that people who can write well are often people who know how to think well, so I often equate clarity of writing with clarity of thought. No matter how hard you try to feel happier, you end up back where you started. BORODITSKY: Yeah, that's true. The categorization that language provides to you becomes real, becomes psychologically real. And it's just too much of an effort, and you can't be bothered to do it, even though it's such a small thing. Social Functionalist Frameworks for Judgment and Choice: Intuitive Politicians, Theologians, and Prosecutors, by Philip Tetlock, Psychology Review, 2002. Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. He's also the author of the book, "Words On The Move: Why English Won't - And Can't - Sit Still (Like, Literally).". In the second episode of our "Relationships 2.0" series, psychologist Do you ever struggle to communicate with your mom? If you missed it, Think back to the last time someone convinced you to do something you didn't want to do, or to spend money you didn't want to spend. This is a database with millions of art images. And I was telling this person about someone I knew back in America. And so even though I insist that there is no scientific basis for rejecting some new word or some new meaning or some new construction, I certainly have my visceral biases. So for example, English speakers, because they're very likely to say, he did it or someone did it, they are very good at remembering who did it, even if it's an accident. There was no way of transcribing an approximation of what people said and nobody would have thought of doing it. We convince a colleague to take a different tactic at work. It's never happened. But might we allow that there's probably a part of all human beings that wants to look down on somebody else. 00:51:58 - We all have to make certain choices in life, such as where to live and how to earn a living. If you're a monolingual speaker of one of these languages, you're very likely to say that the word chair is masculine because chairs are, in fact, masculine, right? Many of us believe that hard work and persistence are the key to achieving our goals. BORODITSKY: It's certainly possible. They shape our place in it. Interpersonal Chemistry: What Is It, How Does It Emerge, and How Does it Operate? And to arrive in a new place where you can't tell a joke and can't express an idea - oh, it's just really painful because you feel like your whole self is hiding inside and no one can see it. Hidden Brain: You, But Better on Apple Podcasts 50 min You, But Better Hidden Brain Social Sciences Think about the resolutions you made this year: to quit smoking, eat better, or get more exercise. In this week's My Unsung Hero, Sarah Feldman thanks someone for their gift more than 20 years ago. VEDANTAM: Still don't have a clear picture? Many of us rush through our days, weeks, and lives, chasing goals, and just trying to get everything done. The transcript below may be for an earlier version of this episode. So bilinguals are kind of this in-between case where they can't quite turn off their other languages, but they become more prominent, more salient when you are actually speaking the language or surrounded by the language. The fact is that language change can always go in one of many directions, there's a chance element to it. VEDANTAM: (Laughter) All right, I think it might be time for me to confess one of my pet peeves. Many of us rush through our lives, chasing goals and just trying to get everything done. Researcher Elizabeth Dunn helps us map out Having a sense of purpose can be a buffer against the challenges we all face at various stages of life. Lera, thank you so much for joining me on HIDDEN BRAIN today. We talk with psychologist Iris Mauss, who explains why happiness can seem more elusive the harder we chase it, and what we can do instead to build a lasting sense of contentment. UNIDENTIFIED MAN #1: (Speaking foreign language). Many of us rush through our lives, chasing goals and just trying to get everything done. this is hidden brain I'm Shankar Vedantam in the classic TV series Star Trek Mister Spock has a foolproof technique for accurately reading the thoughts and feelings of others the Vulcan mind I am Spock you James our minds are moving closer most most here are kind of hard we have new technology that gives us direct access to the minds of others so VEDANTAM: You make the case that concerns over the misuse of language might actually be one of the last places where people can publicly express prejudice and class differences. VEDANTAM: I asked Lera how describing the word chair or the word bridge as masculine or feminine changes the way that speakers of different languages think about those concepts. Yes! What Makes Lawyers Happy? Those sorts things tend to start with women. VEDANTAM: One of the points you make in the book of course is that the evolution of words and their meanings is what gives us this flowering of hundreds or thousands of languages. All sponsorship opportunities on Hidden Brain are managed by SXM Media. VEDANTAM: If languages are shaped by the way people see the world, but they also shape how people see the world, what does this mean for people who are bilingual? In this episode, we explore how long-term relationships have changed over time and whether we might be able to improve marriage by asking less of it. Think back to the last time someone convinced you to do something you didn't want to do, or to spend money you didn't want to spend. And we teach them, for example, to say that bridges and apples and all kinds of other things have the same prefix as women. We love the idea of Hidden Brain helping to spark discussions in your community. VEDANTAM: Languages orient us to the world. So you can think about an un-gendered person in the same way that I might think about a person without a specific age or specific height or specific color shirt. MCWHORTER: Thank you for having me, Shankar. You know, there's no left leg or right leg. All episodes of Hidden Brain - Chartable Hidden Brain Episodes Happiness 2.0: The Reset Button Many of us rush through our lives, chasing goals and just trying to get everything done. But they can also steer us in directions that leave us deeply unsatisfied. BORODITSKY: Yeah. Something new will have started by then, just like if we listen to people in 1971, they sound odd in that they don't say like as much as we do. We talk with psychologist Iris Mauss, who explains why happiness Why do some companies become household names, while others flame out? But is that true when it comes to the pursuit of happiness? What we think of today as a word undergoing some odd development or people using some new construction is exactly how Latin turned into French. Freely Determined: What the New Psychology of the Self Teaches Us About How to Live, by Kennon M. Sheldon, 2022. This week, we kick off a month-long series we're calling Happiness 2.0. So when the perfect woman started writing him letters, it seemed too good to be true. That said, if you hear one or two pieces of music that you really love, feel free to email us at [emailprotected] and well do our best to respond to your request. They often feel angry about it, and you think this anger is actually telling. Imagine how we would sound to them if they could hear us. VEDANTAM: So all this raises a really interesting question. Women under about 30 in the United States, when they're excited or they're trying to underline a point, putting uh at the end of things. Hidden Brain Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships. And the answer should be, north, northeast in the far distance; how about you? Trusted by 5,200 companies and developers. al, Group Decision and Negotiation, 2008. We lobby a neighbor to vote for our favored political candidate. And to our surprise, 78 percent of the time, we could predict the gender of the personification based on the grammatical gender of the noun in the artist's native language. So I think it's an incredible tragedy that we're losing all of this linguistic diversity, all of this cultural diversity because it is human heritage. For more of our Relationships 2.0 series, check out one of our most popular episodes ever about why marriages are so hard. And if the word bridge is masculine in your language, you're more likely to say that bridges are strong and long and towering - these kind of more stereotypically masculine words. And the way you speak right is not by speaking the way that people around you in your life speak, but by speaking the way the language is as it sits there all nice and pretty on that piece of paper where its reality exists. So some languages don't have number words. So if you took a bunch of those tendencies, you could make up, say, the English of 50 years from now, but some of the things would just be complete chance. My big fat greek wedding, an american woman of greek ancestry falls in love with a very vanilla, american man. Having a sense of purpose can be a buffer against the challenges we all face at various stages of life. There's been a little bit of research from economists actually looking at this. You know, we spend years teaching children about how to use language correctly. According to neuroscientists who study laughter, it turns out that chuckles and giggles often aren't a response to humorthey're a response to people. You can run experiments in a lab or survey people on the street. If you dont see any jobs posted there, feel free to send your resume and cover letter to [emailprotected] and well keep your materials on hand for future openings on the show. Go behind the scenes, see what Shankar is reading and find more useful resources and links. How do certain memes go viral? And then when I turned, this little window stayed locked on the landscape, but it turned in my mind's eye. UNIDENTIFIED PERSON #7: (Speaking foreign language). So the way you say hi in Kuuk Thaayorre is to say, which way are you heading? Which pile do you go in, right? He. And you can just - it rolls off the tongue, and you can just throw it out. I'm Shankar Vedantam. In the final episode of our Relationships 2.0 series, psychologistHarry Reis says theres another ingredient to successful relationships thats every bit as important as love. You can find the transcript for most episodes of Hidden Brain on our website. 4.62. There are signs it's getting even harder. Long before she began researching languages as a professor, foreign languages loomed large in her life.

Shoreland Kennels Complaints, Brookside Funeral Home Lauder, Articles H