Woodling believed he produced more game-winning RBI in 1959 than any other season. Then the year Cleveland beat us [in 1954], they won 111 games, and we won more than we ever won, 103 games. I hit around .385, and the Yankees bought me. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. https://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/index.php?title=Gene_Woodling&oldid=778526, Scores from any date in Major League history, Minor, Foreign, College, & Black Baseball, Frequently Asked Questions about MLB and Baseball. We used to call Gene, Rock. Woodling finished the tour on Saipan, where he saw combat action. Gene Woodling Date and Place of Birth: August 16, 1922 Akron, Ohio Died: June 2, 2001 Barberton, Ohio Baseball Experience: Major League Position: Outfield Rank: Unknown Military Unit: US Navy Area Served: Pacific Theater of Operations Eugene R "Gene" Woodling was born in Akron, Ohio, on August 16, 1922. I had three real good years for Baltimore. We will miss you, Dad. See: http://www.paperofrecord.com/default.asp. But I guess the one year, 1952, when we played the Brooklyn Dodgers, we had to go back to Ebbets Field and win em both to win the World Series. statistics (plate appearances & times on bases) not found Who would you rather have? Woodling was inducted into the Baltimore Oriole Hall of Fame, confirming that his Baltimore years were his best in baseball. George R. Woodling, 91, of Stroud Township, died Thursday, January 27, 2022, at home. Some defensive statistics Copyright Sports Info Solutions, 2010-2023. San Francisco operated better than three-fourths of the major league clubs.. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? Died: June 2, 2001 at Barberton, O. Here is Marlene Woodling's obituary. He hit for a high batting average of .321 in 1957 and was over .400 in on-base percentage five times, with a high of .429 in 1953 (which led the American League). Under Vernons tutelage, Woodling enjoyed a good season and a half in Washington, hitting .313 for the Senators in 1961 and .280 for 40 games in 1962, before he was sold to the Mets. Unresolved: Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. The man had incredible patience with his kids! Thanks for your help! Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? They used to call Hank and I the Gold Dust Twins. Some writer put that on us. Peter Golenbock wrote in Dynasty, During one clubhouse meeting, Stengel said, Theres one guy in this room who dont talk behind my back. All the Yankees turned and looked toward Woodling., Gene said, I was the left fielder, and Hank was the right fielder. (Please note: For some informations, we can only point to external links). June 15 was trading deadline, and [manager] Paul Richards said, I better get you outta here before they kill you! So he traded me over to Cleveland. Birthdate: 8/16/1922 6/2/2001 (78 y, 9 m, 17 d) But the next year at Class A Wilkes-Barre of the Eastern League, Gene broke his ankle sliding into home plate. Eugene Richard Woodling (August 16, 1922 - June 2, 2001) won four minor league batting titles and was, in Hall of Fame manager Casey Stengel's opinion, the best left fielder he had ever managed. During that time, Yankee manager Casey Stengel praised the outfielder's ability to run and throw. Now he wanted the sweep. During those fall classics, the left-handed hitter averaged an impressive .318. In his first season with the Yankees, Woodling shared playing time with Hank Bauer, Johnny Lindell and Cliff Mapes. They dont like you in the big leagues the way you are. So we made some changes. Woodling burned up the Coast League at a .385 pace and won the batting title. A moderate home run hitter, he was in double figures nine different times with a peak of 19 in 1957. Nobody hit with Williams, nobody. Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. making a donation to Baseball Almanac : We will miss you, and my condolences to Steve ,Kerry and Jo and all the family, youll are in our prayers. Born on May 2,. Share this memorial using social media sites or email. a privately run / non-commercial site in need of financial assistance. Losing a parent is always heartbreaking. You never get used to the World Series. [1], Woodling was a left-handed batter known as a line drive hitter who hit over .300 five times during his 17-year career and, had a .318 batting average during his five World Series appearances. We present them here for purely educational purposes. Theres no two hitters who do the same things. Verify and try again. Win Expectancy, Run Expectancy, and Leverage Index calculations provided by Tom Tango of InsideTheBook.com, and co-author of The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. Right-center and left-center is where you hit most of the balls. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. I could only hit .398, .394, and .385 standing up. Rest in peace Pete and it was very nice knowing you. Search above to list available cemeteries. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. He said, of course, the highlight of his career was the first lunar landing, July 1969. Woodling suffered a crippling stroke on December 9, 1997, and he was not able to speak again. Sorry! Gene Woodling Shop authentic Gene Woodling autographed memorabilia at SportsCollectibles.com. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. All Rights Reserved by Baseball Almanac, Inc.Hosted by Hosting 4 Less. During his four playoff runs with the Yankees he hit .318, with three home runs, two triples and five doubles. Pete will truly be missed, it was a honor to be able to grow up as a family friend and be able to admire him as gentle, kind, considerate, intelligent human that he was. But with the Mets, I got a lot of laughs with Casey! They were a treasure to us. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. I had a good year, too [.274 in 81 games]. The Baseball Hall of Fames Library has a good clipping file on Woodling, including a variety of newspaper stories as well as Jack Newcombes The Yankee They Take for Granted, Sport, XIV (Feb. 1953), pp. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. Do you have a sports website? Every Sports Reference Social Media Account. Richie Ashburn [.306] had a good year that year, and Gil Hodges [.252], Frank Thomas [.266]. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. He was quite a character wasnt he? Andrea, how sweet!!! Gene Woodling weighed 195 lbs (88 kg) when playing. He played alongside baseball legends like Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle. His older brother Red won a national title while swimming for Ohio State University. Just a enjoyable person to be around what great times were had in Friendswood. In the Midwest, few schools played as many as twenty games in the often-chilly spring weather. There was an error deleting this problem. A native of Akron, Ohio, whose father worked in a rubber factory, Woodling was signed out of high school by a Cleveland Indians scout, Bill Bradley, who had previously discovered Tommy Henrich, originally an Indians minor leaguer but later the Yankee outfield star known as Old Reliable. I wouldnt trade it for all the tea in China. Although he only had 395 at bats, he led the American League with a .429 on-base percentage. Life path 2s are peacekeepers who aim to achieve balance, specifically when it comes to their relationships. When I began playing ball, I batted standing straight up. I loved his sense of humor. Also see: Baseball Encyclopedia. As Casey returned to the dugout, he imitated Gene staggering under the ball. Thanks for using Find a Grave, if you have any feedback we would love to hear from you. His 27 postseason hits included five doubles, two triples, and three home runs. Frances U. Woodling RUMFORD - Mrs. Frances U. Woodling, 94, died Monday March 20, 2017 at the Rumford Community Home where she resided. Woodling, who batted .348 in that Classic, also contributed a seventh-game solo homer to help the Yankees win, 4-2, and clinch the clubs fourth straight World Series title. I actually gained a lot that one year, Woodling explained in a 1997 interview, by playing with these guys in 1944. He added, Mickey Cochrane said, If you lose, you go overseas! We won something like 50 or 60 games. But I was almost 41 years old. Gene played football and basketball in high school, but he came from a family known for good swimmers. It was a wonderful childhood growing up next door to the Woodlings. Gene Woodling was born on Wednesday, August 16, 1922, in Akron, Ohio. Use without license or authorization is expressly prohibited. That wasnt good enough! Gene Woodling. Everybody looks at the bat. In 2023, His Personal Year Number is 4. The Yankees did nothing but win, so everything worked out great. This represented the first World Series title in the franchise's history. The Good Lord took care of me. The Yankees trailed the Boston Red Sox by one game with two games left to play in the 1949 season. Yankee ballplayers were supposed to be like DiMaggio, you know, but I wasnt ever like DiMaggio. Ive got a picture here from Ted Williams, who I played against for years, who said I was the toughest guy that he ever played against in the eighth or ninth inning. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. During a stint with Cleveland in late 1943, he batted .320 in eight games. He was as hard as one. To use this feature, use a newer browser. Born on May 2, 1930 at the family home in Reeders, he was a son of the late Charles and Elsie (Serfass) Woodling and was a lifetime resident of Monroe County. 1983 Card Collectors Company 1953 Bowman Black & White Reprint #31 Gene Woodling: $0.41: 1983 Topps Reprint 52 #99 Gene Woodling: $0.41: 1985 TCMA Playball 1947 #40 Gene Woodling: $0.58: 1988 Pacific Legends I/II #5 Gene Woodling: $0.34: 1989 Swell Baseball Greats #102 Gene Woodling: $0.26: On November 17, 1954, a record 17-player deal took place between the Orioles and Yankees, involving Woodling, future 20-game winner Bob Turley and Don Larsen, who would go on to pitch a perfect game in the 1956 World Series for New York. In January 1946 he was mustered out of the Navy. Woodling had been sidelined for the last part of the 1954 season with a broken arm. That was an insult. Returning home, he went to spring training with Cleveland in Clearwater, Florida. Two-run homers by Brooks Robinson and Ronnie Hansen and a solo smash by Gene Woodling paved the way for Bud Daley's eighth defeat He has won 12. Join our linker program. cemeteries found in Granger, Medina County, Ohio, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Most importantly, Woodling helped the New York Yankees win five straight World Series from 1949 through 1953. Anyone can read what you share. Boston came in to New York, and Boston had to win one, but we had to win both games. In the 1953 World Series, the Yankees beat the Dodgers in six games. Bauer and I wanted to kill him. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. He compiled a .318 batting average in World Series play. mountain news crime log 2021. are sports illustrated magazines worth keeping. He died on June 2, 2001, Barberton, OH. Resolved: Release in which this issue/RFE has been resolved. Or would you rather have a guy who hits .260 or .270, and drives in, say, 60 runs, and 30 of his runs won ball games? You knew who was going to pitch. Pete never failed to remind his children of how important Millys support and encouragement was to his long and successful career. August 16, 1922 All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. Basic HTML code is allowed. The big difference between my day and today, as you can see, is pitching. He was 76. When the writers used to question Casey on stealing bases, he would say, Why do we want to steal bases and take the bat out of the hitters hand? Casey used to say, Theres nobody on my ball club that doesnt go from first to third on a base hit, or from second to home. And we won em. copyright=new Date(); Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. The family will gather for a small ceremony in honor of Pete and Milly on June 11, 2022. What a blessed childhood we had! Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. Woodling credited ODoul with helping him get back to the majors: Lefty ODoul, you know, he just couldnt believe that I didnt stay in the big leagues after spring training. You know who does that for you? He probably had a lot to do with me coming to the Yankees." New York: Macmillan Publishing, Ninth edition, 1993, and Baseball America, Inc. Teammate Rocky Colavito, who hit 25 home runs that year, was sixth in the league. The injury ended his season after 39 games, when he was averaging just .192. He hit .300 or better five times. Great sport and story teller. He was so funny and I have such fond memories of him as I ran through your back yard going to play with friends on the other side of the street. Yes! Explaining why 1959 the only year in which he made the All-Star team was his best year, Woodling observed, I had good years at New York and Cleveland. High School Akron East High School Debut September 23, 1943 Final Game September 15, 1962 Born August 16, 1922 in Akron, OH USA Died June 2, 2001 in Barberton, OH USA BR page Biographical Information [ edit] Woodling's overall hitting skills compare very favorably with those of his Baltimore Orioles teammate, Bob Nieman, who played several fewer years. I would have to say that was my biggest break there, going with San Francisco and [manager] Lefty ODoul. Data Provided By Resend Activation Email, Please check the I'm not a robot checkbox, If you want to be a Photo Volunteer you must enter a ZIP Code or select your location on the map. He would laugh as we towed the Chevy Suburban in on the weekend after we told him how we totally tore off another axle. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. First Mets game: June 17, 1962 Last Mets game: September 16, 1962 Uniform Number: Gene Woodling's Life Path Number is 2 as per numerology, it means he is motivated by community, harmony, and relationships. For he and Millys 50th Anniversary he reminisced about fishing: Freshwater in 3 countries and 12 states including 16 man-made lakes in Texas and 12 varieties of fish; Saltwater in Gulf of Mexico (from Florida to Padre Island), Atlantic (from Virginia Beach to Florida Keys) and Pacific (from Alaska to Ixtapa, Mexico) including 8 varieties of fish and 2 varieties of crab; Most memorable were the unique, single, trips but also enjoyed the many picnic lunches on the lake with family and not catching a thing. background-image:unset; Pete received a degree in Physics from the College of William and Mary in 1950. "Gene (Woodling) played right field. He earned his doctorate in applied mathematics at the University of Toronto in Canada in 1942, then went to work as a research engineer for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. This account has been disabled. My condolences on the recent passing of your father as well as your mom. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. Milly and Pete celebrated their 69th wedding anniversary on January 19, 2021 but said a tearful goodbye to his sweet life-companion and greatest friend, Milly, on June 29, 2021. But when the season started, I sat on the bench all year. Paul Fagan owned the ball club, and he was a very, very wealthy man. Please try again later. Thank you for your sweet words, Patsy. It was time for me to go home anyway., After baseball, Woodling was a sales representative for several companies, including Diebold, Dayton Lock, and Eaton Corporation. The email does not appear to be a valid email address. In 1948, that was a lot of money for baseball. Paul Richards traded back for me. During his senior year, East Highs swimming coach also became the baseball coach, so Gene was persuaded to try the diamond. A system error has occurred. Gene Woodling was born on August 16, 1922 (age 78) in Ohio, United States. Copyright 1999- . Wed get a five-game lead, and Casey would platoon us. I will always remember the laughs we shared as we made our homes in Friendswood.The stories brought laughs which was typical of Pete He was fun to share stories.It was a joy to know. His lifetime on-base percentage is a very lofty .386 - way above average. Truly a blessing. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. Do you have a blog? The recruit (as rookies were often called) led the Class D circuit with a .398 mark and made the All-Star team. Once I said that the Yankee uniform didn't make me a ballplayer. Try again later. Gene Woodling was born on August 16, 1922 in Akron, Ohio, USA. There they continued to entertain family and friends until their return to Friendswood, in 2018, due to health reasons. Gods blessings and comfort to you and your family. But Casey was a good manager, a good manager. Woodling credited swimming with helping him understanding the value of training in baseball. [4] He remained in that capacity through the 1966 World Series Championship season and up until the announcement on September 28, 1967 that he would not be retained for the 1968 season. Throws: Right Bats: Left Height: 5.10 Weight: 195 Gene Woodling was the most popular Ultimate Mets Database daily lookup on January 27, 2009, and January 14, 2017. He looked like a traffic cop out there, if you got to the eighth or ninth inning with a one-run lead. Purchase a Gene Woodling from the experts at Sports Collectibles. Woodling was appointed on November 20, 1963 as the Orioles' first-base coach by former Yankees teammate Hank Bauer, who had become the team's manager one day earlier. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. GREAT NEWS! Woodling was born in Akron, Ohio where his father worked in a rubber factory. But to get down to that one thing, hitting, it was Williams. Harder, maybe." You just brought back a fond memory for me as well. Use Escape keyboard button or the Close button to close the carousel. The owner was great, and Seals Stadium was a beautiful ballpark. We got to fooling around in the batting cage, and he moved me up close to the plate, feet together, and changed the position of my bat. But that turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. He was as hard as one. He was one of the youngest players in the league when he started in 1943, and one of the oldest in his last year in 1962. gene woodling obituary | July 01 / 2022 | consumer math b unit 3 lesson 3consumer math b unit 3 lesson 3 Resend Activation Email. We will review the memorials and decide if they should be merged. Oops, something didn't work. The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. In his career, he hit .284 with 147 home runs, 830 RBI and 29 stolen bases. You played a week in a town, and had every Monday off. on any other website. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. We got to change something, Lefty said. Pete retired from NASA in 1983. But Woodling was remembered for one misadventure in left field, his dropping a fly ball hit by the Phillies' Andy Seminick with the Yankees one out away from sweeping Philadelphia in the 1950 World Series. [3] He set career-highs in home runs (19), runs batted in (78), and batting (.321) in 1957. We had very similar careers, except that I played longer than Hank., Reflecting on his favorite World Series, Woodling observed, Theyre all a great thing. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Gene Woodling I found on Findagrave.com. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. Some defensive statistics Copyright Baseball Info Solutions, 2010-2022. Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of Gene Woodling (5861204)? Thank you for such kind words. Theres nothing wrong with the way DiMaggio hit at all. Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? Pete came home from work one day to share an opportunity of a lifetime career move with Milly, to join the NASA group in 1962 that had moved their operations from Langley Field to Houston, Texas. Theres just no way. - Gene Woodling, talking about his great year in 1948 playing with the San Francisco Seals and playing against Casey Stengel's championship Oakland Oaks in the year before Stengel became Yankee manager, "I never wanted to hear a ballplayer saying 'Nice hustling'. Later I lost track of him. Then World War II interrupted Woodlings lifeas the war did to the lives of millions of Americans. In the eighth or ninth inning, I won ball games. This guy got buried in Washington. Make sure that the file is a photo. . He loved fishing and RV camping with Milly and any family or friends who wanted to join them. cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. Find out more. Gene Woodling. Please accept Echovita's sincere condolences. Total Zone Rating and initial framework for Wins above Replacement calculations provided by Sean Smith. Those were good days on Imperial Dr #148. Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $5. [1], "Gene Woodling Dies at 78; Won 5 Titles With Yankees", "The Baseball Biography Project: Gene Woodling", "Cleveland Swaps Westlake, Pope for Woodling and Billy Cox,", Gene Woodling Oral History Interview (1 of 3) - National Baseball Hall of Fame Digital Collection, Gene Woodling Oral History Interview (2 of 3) - National Baseball Hall of Fame Digital Collection, Gene Woodling Oral History Interview (3 of 3) - National Baseball Hall of Fame Digital Collection, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gene_Woodling&oldid=1142741756, September 23,1943,for theCleveland Indians, September 15,1962,for theNew York Mets, Career statistics and player information from, This page was last edited on 4 March 2023, at 03:25. Baseball may have gotten me in the door, he said, but I did a good job for these companies, and I worked for Eaton for years. He mostly played left field (1,208 games) when he entered the majors, but appeared in 325 contests in right field and played 93 games in center. In five World Series, he posted a batting line of .318/.442/.529. It was a blessing to have both parents for many years. Gene never forgave him.''. And the same sweet message back to you Susan. Phoenix, AZ 85004 ''Woodling used to fuss with me to play him more with the Yankees,'' Stengel said when his old left fielder joined the hapless Mets. Woodling played exclusively in the outfield in the major leagues, primarily left field. Kerry, so very sorry to hear of you fathers passing. Casey was funny over there. He attended Stroudsburg Wesleyan Church and enjoyed working, hunting and gardening. That's an insult. Pete was up and working on it early in the morning so we could do it again that evening. I am a bit late in receiving the news of Petes passing. Gene recalled, Johnny Lindell hit the big home run. I never wanted to hear a ballplayer saying, 'Nice hustling.' Would you rather have a guy hit 40 home runs and drive in 110 runs, and his RBIs probably won you 10 or 11 ball games? var pfHeaderImgUrl = '';var pfHeaderTagline = '';var pfdisableClickToDel = 0;var pfHideImages = 0;var pfImageDisplayStyle = 'right';var pfDisablePDF = 0;var pfDisableEmail = 0;var pfDisablePrint = 0;var pfCustomCSS = 'https://www.baseball-almanac.com/css/print.css';var pfBtVersion='2';(function(){var js,pf;pf=document.createElement('script');pf.type='text/javascript';pf.src='//cdn.printfriendly.com/printfriendly.js';document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(pf)})(); Did you know that you can compare Gene Woodling to other rookies who also had their Major League debut during the Gene Woodling has not been elected into the Hall of Fame. I treasure that compliment, coming from Ted. Many thanks to him. cemeteries found within miles of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. He called on Reynolds. In my day, you couldnt get enough good pitching for 16 big league teams. Add to your scrapbook. Please ensure you have given Find a Grave permission to access your location in your browser settings. ''I thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Obituary. I recall the camper in the driveway as you packed for adventure. Bats/Throws: L/R. document.write(update); I had a real good spring training in 1946. He flew us back home all the time for our families. Peter Golenbock, Dynasty: The New York Yankees, 1949-1964. ). 211 Coleman Strt, Crestview, FL 32536-2607 is the residential address for Adam. Of course, Cleveland was always good competition, because of the pitching, you know. But the thing we really never got credit for was our speed and our defense. The teams played several games on over half a dozen islands before the players resumed their military duties. If He doesnt, you gotta go home and go to work. Phone: 602.496.1460 vs. BOS 2 AB, 1 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 SB, Last Game: He played in Major League Baseball as an outfielder between 1943 and 1962, most prominently as a member of the New York Yankees dynasty that won five consecutive World Series championships between 1949 to 1953. "Gene (Woodling) played right field. Born Aug. 4, 1921, in Milton, she was the daughter of the late Harrison and Bessie (Keefer) Yocum. As a member of the New York Yankees, Woodling was part of five consecutive World Series Championships. Gene Woodling's He was the husband of Lorraine (Tamulis) Woodling with whom he shared 66 years of marriage. It is with deep sorrow that we announce the death of Paul H. Woodling Jr. of Macungie, Pennsylvania, born in Palmerton, Pennsylvania, who passed away on November 5, 2021, at the age of 49, leaving to mourn family and friends. Its always nice to come back home and do well. Youre supposed to run hard all the time. Copyright 2021 Crowder Funeral Home. Family members linked to this person will appear here. If you can help us improve this players biography,contact us. There are no volunteers for this cemetery. The Version table provides details related to the release that this issue/RFE will be addressed. of 2 NEXT A .300 hitter five times in a career spanning 17 seasons, Woodling was a key figure on the Yankee teams that dominated baseball in the decade after World War II. Keeping his positive attitude, Gene hit .289, contributed 54 RBI, and led all flychasers with 343 putouts. But it was a fine World Series for Woodling, who hit .429 over the four games to tie the Phillies' Granny Hamner for batting honors. It still wasnt enough. Gene Woodling, who spent 17 seasons in the Major Leagues, died in June at the age of 78. Historic sales data are completed sales with a buyer and a seller agreeing on a price. A native of Akron, Ohio, the youngest son of Harvey and Alvada Woodling was surrounded by Ohios football-rich tradition. HANK BAUER OBITUARY Hank Bauer, a hard-hitting, hard-nosed outfielder for the New York Yankees and former major league manager who made his home in the Kansas City area, died today after a. And you realize what double plays do? We could all run. All images are property the copyright holder and are displayed here for informational purposes only. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. Much of the play-by-play, game results, and transaction information both shown and used to create certain data sets was obtained free of charge from and is copyrighted by RetroSheet. Learn more about managing a memorial . Mickey should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Woodling returned to the Indians along with Billy Cox from the Orioles for Dave Pope, Wally Westlake and cash before the trade deadline on June 15, 1955. And I did. Mantle could have set unbelievable records.

Florida Man September 21, 1999, Mass Murders In North Dakota, What Does The Smoke Represent In Long Way Down, Hubbell Pressure Switch 69jg, Articles G