Jillian Schwartz, Jonesboro, Ark. Michael Phelps, Towson, Md. Six U.S. boxers qualified for the Tokyo Olympics via world rankings after a North and South American selection tournament in Argentina was canceled. From Jefferson, via NBC Sports' Bill Leopold and Ben Teitelbaum: "I remember in the qualifier for the Olympics, he told Jason Kidd, Hey Jason, I know you're really good at the fast break, but I want you to stop at the free-throw line and throw a bounce pass to one of the wings. And you're sitting here talking to the second all-time leading assist guy and one of the most dominant point guards of all time. Charlie Ogletree, Houston, Texas Five U.S. weightlifters qualified for the following events: The U.S. wrestlers qualified to compete in all events except the men's Greco-Roman 74kg class. Brett McClure, Mill Creek, Wash. Now. Im a little bit tired, but nothing near what I can be, he said. Aly Wagner, San Jose, Calif. Shane Hamman, Mustang, Okla. The crash was a major setback to U.S. boxing, virtually wiping out . Despite its best showing at the Games in two decades, Team USA's 17-year drought will extend to Paris 2024. Vanes Martirosyan, Glendale, Calif. Koby Holland, Dillon, Mont. It was similar dominance to Friday, when Stolz won the 500m to become the youngest world champion in history. Matt Smith, Woodbridge, Va. In mens ski halfpipe, American Alex Ferreiraadded his first world championships medal (bronze) to his Olympic silver and bronze and two X Games titles. Boxing. Andrew Eisele is a boxing writer who has covered the sport for Time, Inc. The roster includes 15 past Olympians including three-time Olympian Laurel Korholz as well as two-time Olympians Chris Ahrens, Pete Cipollone, Jennifer Devine, Hilary Gehman, Sarah Jones, Wolf Moser, Lianne Nelson, Henry Nuzum, Greg Ruckman, Kelly Salchow, Paul Teti, Steve Tucker, Bryan Volpenhein, and Mike Wherley. Benjie Lewis, North Miami Beach, Fla. Pat Todd, Cincinnati, Ohio Joanna Hayes, Los Angeles, Calif. Five judges scored the fighters in real time and the boxer with the most points at the end was the winner. Many players and people involved with the team spoke out recently in a feature on NBCOlympics.com. Curt Clausen, Chula Vista, Calif. After placing 13th and 14th in his Olympic debut last year, he became the youngest man to win a World Cup race, then won three more World Cup races and swept the 500m, 1000m and 1500m at last months world junior championships. Stacey Nuveman, La Verne, Calif. Cheryl Haworth, Savannah, Ga. Men (3) In January, Gasser, 31, withdrew moments before the X Games big air after suffering what she called a mild concussion in slopestyle the day before. Brook Billings, Santa Barbara, Calif. Everyone was trying to cater to Coach (Larry) Browns style which is a little bit different to what they wouldve wanted. Nate Dusing, Villa Hills, Ky. Michael Jordan USA Olympics Fan Apparel & Souvenirs. The ski and snowboard big air finals were moved up from Sunday to Saturday due to weather forecasts. 1904 St. Louis, Mo. 12519. Chanda Rubin, Lafayette, La. Equestrian (13)Women (6) The U.S. did not qualify boats in the mens single sculls or womens double sculls. document.write(adcode); } 5-3 in Men's Olympics. John Lovell, New Orleans, La. Bryan Clay, Azusa, Calif. Bennie Brazell, Baton Rouge, La. Jesse Smith, Coronado, Calif. Carly Patterson, Baton Rouge, La. Adam Saathoff, Hereford, Ariz. Jennifer Devine, Seattle, Wash. I dont expect to be skating that much faster than the best skaters in the world, Stolz told Dutch broadcaster NOS, but somehow I am.. 1. Tim Duncan. The squad will compete at the 2004 Olympic Games from August 14-22 in Athens, Greece. Barb Lindquist, Jackson Hole, Wyo. Team USA Exhibitions: N/A: 2014: U17 World Cup: Gold: 2014: U18 Americas Championship: Gold: I want Stephon Marbury off the team. Vaho Iagorashvili, Eagle, Wis. Jonathan Johnson, College Station, Texas Erin Dobratz, Clayton, Calif. Twelve American judoka (seven male and five female) qualified for the 2004 Summer Olympics. Hazel Clark, Knoxville, Tenn. Lenny Krayzelburg, Studio City, Calif. Lisa Schlenker, Lake Oswego, Ore. Teams that medal the most get a lot of money. Shawn Dulohery, Lee's Summit, Mo. 2004 United States Olympic Team Roster: By Sport July 31, 2004 USA Delegation Mission Staff USOC Chair: Peter Ueberroth, Laguna Beach, Calif. Toby Stevenson, Chula Vista, Calif. The team kind of came together at the last minute. Swin Cash, McKeesport, Pa. { document.write(''); [3] The tournament was also Mario Kindeln's final Olympic event before retirement, with a second lightweight gold metal after beating Amir Khan. Pete Spaulding, Miami, Fla. Matt Hemingway, Littleton, Colo. If you have an interest in the world of Olympic boxing, check out 40 years of U.S. Olympic Boxing Team history consolidated into a single list, including the locations where the team competed. if (browName=='Netscape'){ He defeated Kwang-Sun Kim (South Korea) 5-0, which was probably his toughest fight of those Olympics. I wasnt nervous. Player Pos HT WT Birth Date Birth City Pre-NBA Draft Team . Jason Rogers, Los Angeles, Calif. Stolz has been the breakout story of the sport this season. Jason Read, Ringoes, N.J. Erinn Smart, Brooklyn, N.Y. Changes were made, and Team USA hasn't lost a basketball game in the Olympics since 2004. Americans Kimi Goetz and Bowe, the defending world champion, were fourth and fifth. Beezie Patton Madden, Cazenovia, N.Y. Hattie Johnson, Athol, Idaho. On December 5, 2012, the International Olympic Committee and the IAAF stripped off Ukrainian shot putter Yuriy Bilonoh's gold medal after drug re-testings of his samples were discovered positive . Cody Mattern, Tigard, Ore. Andre Ward, Oakland, Calif. Lori Harrigan, Las Vegas, Nev. Athens Greece 2004 USA Olympic Team Athlete Sport Rings Flame Gold Lapel Hat Pin. Jennifer Capriati, Saddlebrook, Fla. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Nancy Haberland, Annapolis, Md. Nearly four decades later, 22-year-old Richard Torrez Jr. is in position to join Biggs when he fights top-ranked Bakhodir Jalolov of Uzbekistan on Sunday at the Tokyo Olympics. Rebecca Snyder, Grand Junction, Colo. Men (12) Guenter Seidel, Delmar, Calif. Emily Caruso, Fairfield, Conn. Per, Mike Bibby and Tracy McGrady cited security issues as reasons they wouldn't go to Greece, as reports surfaced, amid rising fears of possible terrorism during the games. Subscribe to @olympics: http://oly.ch/Subscribe Can't wait? { document.write(''); Four U.S. athletes qualified to compete in the modern pentathlon event through the 2003 Pan American Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I want Stephon Marbury off the team. Brenda Villa, Commerce, Calif. Men (13) if (browVersion>=5) Ian Crocker, Portland, Maine USA Boxing - A Night With America's Team 1996-06-22 Tarver stops Corey Maxey 40 sec. Most of the fastest times in history are set at altitude Calgary or Salt Lake City. Hiker takes 'once-in-a-lifetime' photo at Brazos Bend State Park, MLB legend makes surprise appearance at Astros' Spring Training, This Texas Hill Country town is the new, cooler Fredericksburg, This is what Houston looks like from space, Oops! var adcode=''; Elizabeth Callahan, Columbia, S.C. American David Wise, a two-time Olympic champ, was ninth. Abby Wambach, Rochester, N.Y. Sada Jacobson, Dunwoody, Ga. Jason Lezak, Irvine, Calif. Marie Mijalis, Miami, Fla. Dan Ketchum, Cinncinati, Ohio Jeff Smoke, Buchanan, Mich Scott Goldblatt, Scotch Plains, N.J. As a professional Tate was the WBA & WBC champion with a 34-3 (23) record. Allen Iverson. I was just nothingness.. Badminton (2)Men (2) Steve Tucker, Mooresville, Ind. In 1937, boxers Roy Petragallo and Ed McKinnon won individual titles and the Cougar team, under coach Ike Deeter (1902-2003), [2] won the NCAA boxing championship , [3] WSU's first national . Natasha Watley, Irvine, Calif. 1960 U.S. Olympic Boxing Team (Rome, Italy) 112: Humberto Barrera, Robstown, Texas 119: Jerry Armstrong, Boise, Idaho/Army Laura Berg, Santa Fe Springs, Calif. Twenty-one U.S. shooters (twelve men and nine women) qualified to compete in the following events: Group Stage All times are Eastern European Time (UTC+2). At Light Heavyweight was "Neon" Leon Spinks who won an Olympic Gold Medal. Mikaela Shiffrin clinches fifth World Cup overall title, wins record quest Hanna Faulhaberbecame the first American woman to win a freeski world title, taking the halfpipe on the final day of the world championships in Bakuriani, Georgia, on Saturday. Margaret Hoelzer, Huntsville, Ga. ", No one felt this rigidity more than Marbury. Allyson Felix, Santa Clarita, Calif. Jarred Rome, Boise, Idaho The entire United States Olympic boxing team is killed in a plane crash in Poland. Butch Johnson, Worcester, Mass. Philip Dunn, San Diego, Calif. Hanna Faulhaber, Troy Podmilsak win titles as freestyle ski, snowboard worlds Jordan Stolz wins 1000m at speed skating worlds, sets table for unprecedented Mikaela Shiffrin clinches fifth World Cup overall title, wins record quest American Jordan Stolz becomes youngest world champion in speed skating history, U.S. athletes qualified for Tokyo Olympics across all sports. I think I have a good chance in it, Stolz said. Lisa Fernandez, Long Beach, Calif. Mary Sanders, Toronto, Canada. Boxing USA Olympics Fan Apparel & Souvenirs. yuriorkis gamboa toledano. All 45 team members have past world championships experience and have combined to win 59 medals at the worlds. "I don't have anything negative to say about [Colangelo]. 1996 USA vs Russia 1996-06-17 Tarver outpointed (31-11) Igor Dzagoyev. Favorite us! Athens, Greece August 13-29, 2004. Derrick Brew, Raleigh, N.C. Sara Lowe, DeSoto, Texas Brandi Chastain, San Jose, Calif. Kate O'Neill, New Haven, Conn. Ellen Estes, Novato, Calif. Dana Kirk, Bremerton, Wash. The team was simply a mess; poorly assembled, poorly coached, and completely without an identity. Mia Hamm, Austin, Texas 2004. Rulon Gardner, Afton, Wyo. Celita Schutz, New York, N.Y. Boxing at the 2004 Summer Olympics took place in the Peristeri Olympic Boxing Hall. I don't have anything negative to say about the situation. The United States named a squad of 18 players and 4 alternates for the tournament.[9]. J. Sloan DuRoss, South Portland, Maine Paul Teti, Upper Darby, Pa. 533 competitors, 279 men and 254 women, took part in 254 events in 31 sports. Carlos Boozer, Dwyane Wade and Amar'e Stoudemire had a combined five years of NBA service. That is really the only word I can use to describe it right now wow.. The United States had been represented in one out of five events. var adcode=''; Guard Young, Oklahoma City, Okla. Judo (12)